What Adults Don't Understand | Teen Ink

What Adults Don't Understand

My mom was reading one of the poems of this magazine the other day, and she did something that really irked me. She was reading a poem from the February issue, Nothing Like. When she was finnished reading, she let out a 'humph', like she didn't actually belive that "kids" like us could know what love is yet. Like love is only for responsible adults. Well let me say something right here and right now: By the time you are thirteen, you have probably been in love. There I said it. Now people can argue about it.

KyleGarbacz GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
Yes, I believe that teens DO in fact fall in love. For them love is the feeling that they have someone there that will understand them and like the REAL person that they are on the inside. Us teenager want the feeling of being wanted and loved for who they are. NOT just because they are a son, daughter, cousin, neice or any of that. They WANT to have people there for them because that person WANTS to be there. Teens fall in love because they need to have someone their age, that is close to them, to help them stay sane and keep going in life. I would have been lost if i didn't have my girlfriend. Having a girl/boyfriend keeps us teens happy about ourselves.

heavenleimonkey BRONZE, New Castle, Pennsylvania

Why not try, if you don't you'll never know-the only failure is NOT TRYING!!!

I understand some parents don't think us teens can fall in love. But there are the parents like mine who do. But i do have to argue to the point that i am sixteen years old and have no clue what love "is" and doubt i will find out soon. I find it ridiculous how  some teens i know that are in same age are "in love" with someone new every single week! i dont care for teen relationships!

musicprincess PLATINUM, Braselton, Georgia

They say that love is forever, your forever is all that I need

I do believe that teenagers love. Sometimes it seems that parents forget their teenage years. Love does not have an age requirement. We simply love differently than they do.

OpenHeart13 SILVER, Ada, Ohio

Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it

teenagers are just as capable as love as any adult. yeah there is drama but that not all there is. everyone on the entire planet is capable of love. yeah i said everyone and it doesnt matter who yu are or how old yu are because everyone finds someone at a different age. the only reason adults would probably say teenagers cant love is because that person either hasnt had luck with love or they are too old to remember what it was like when they were a teenager.

OminousBells GOLD, Yukon, Oklahoma

Writing does not cause misery. It is born of misery. ~ Montaigne

I am sorry, but you are going to tell teenagers that they are immature? Yes. A good portion of teenagers are immature, but you can't say that every person who is under the age of 18 is immature and knows nothing of life. And this person is expressing an opinion. I don't find that childish at all. Being able to express your feelings is actually more mature than keeping them to yourself. And yes a good portion of people never fall in love in highschool, correction a good portion of people never find their true love in highschool, but does not mean they don't love. Just because it isn't everlasting doesn't mean that you don't love them. Also by the way most of those teenagers can at least write with better grammar and spelling.

Ilikepaii said...
Ilikepaii, Sacramento, California

A #2 pencil and a dream can take you anywhere.
Joyce A. Myers

Thank you!

xKeli826x BRONZE, Middletown, New York
1 article 1 photo 57 comments

i never really thought of it as giving only part of my heart to Mr. Right. this is because he's been kicked out of my heart. i look at him now and feel nothing. [this may be due to various circumstances of that relationship that i wont get into now because thats very off topic, but i gess i wont be sure].

anyway in my opinion we cant always decide if we fall in love or not. we cant always help what we feel. he was also my first love so i didnt really know how hard it would be after the break up. i've experienced it now so im not really ambitious to fall in love again.

Ilikepaii said...
Ilikepaii, Sacramento, California

Joyce A. Myers

To be completely serious I am about to turn 14 and I still haven't had a boyfriend, while all of my friends have. I don't think age is a factor, I think its who you are around. I mean if you are raised around people who date everyone at their school, you will probably do the same. If you are raised around strong women who wait untill they know  they like someone enough to have a serious relationship, then you will probably be like them.

Lucky707 said...
Lucky707, Ukiah, California
I think ur mom was right highschool is pure drama nothing real and at first u dont love the person ur with u just like the thought of the person so its true ur to chilish at a young age to understand wat love is especialy from what u wrote.

WriterFanatic PLATINUM, DesMoines, Iowa

A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.
By Gandhi.

do you write poetry? Because that was a very poetic reply=)

You're also correct by the way. 

WriterFanatic PLATINUM, DesMoines, Iowa

By Gandhi.

No...its not fun to hurt FluteChick. Not at all. Ironically however, the more times you have been hurt, the happier you will be when you find that special person. I speak from experience.=)

Dont give up!

Averyactor BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"Telekenetics in the audience, please raise my hand." -Mark Twain

Don't jump to assumptions. Allow them to express their opinion, and even if they are an adult let their honest opinions be heard too.

Do this: Picture yourself with the person you're in love with. I mean picture yourself living with them. Picture yourself spending hours and hours in a row together. For years and years. Wouldn't you run out of things to talk about? Even if you each have an opinion and lots to say about every topic imaginable, things will eventually get boring, in my opinion. I don't want to take a definite stance, but I think the reason why "teens can't fall in love" is that the older you are, the less time you have to get sick of your partner, and the less chance of running out of interesting things to do/talk about there is.

nolongerinuse SILVER, San Antonio, Texas

“Love has no desire but to fulfill itself. To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night. To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving.” - Kahlil Gibran

Oh, please. Don't insult our intelligence. Clearly you're a bitter adult or bitter kid who knows nothing. I have had many crushes, and one true love. I know what it feels like. I loved him, warts and all, more than life itself. I would have died for him, been tortured for him, anything. I said "I love you" a thousand times, and still it was not enough to express my adoration.

Just because you've never felt true love, or something, does not mean the rest of the world is the same. Jeez.

xKeli826x BRONZE, Middletown, New York
1 article 1 photo 57 comments
i totally agree with this comment in particular. parents need to learn that we dont always learn a bout stuff from being told about it. we need to experience it oursleves half of the time. and i think this is one of those situations. :)

xKeli826x BRONZE, Middletown, New York
1 article 1 photo 57 comments

this is true. im 14 and i just broke up with my first love. we were together for a little over a year and started dating when i was 12. but knew i was in love with him before a little after i turned 13. my sister was in love when she was 13 to. and mom mom was to.

in my opinion young people can fall in love at a young age even if it doesnt last forever. not all good things do.

Mysteria2000 GOLD, Campbell RIver, Other

My fall will be for you
My love will be in you
If you be the one to cut me
I will bleed forever

I agree with you. As everyone grows older, there understanding of the world becomes more complex and changes, it may be a more simple form of love and yes alot can be a simple crush. But at the same time who can really say who has felt love or not. Feelings cannot be forced or taken and i think its wrong for people to say love is a thing of age.

SUNDRY SILVER said...
SUNDRY SILVER, BANGALORE, Other

"THE WORLD IS A STAGE WHERE EVERYONE PLAYS HIS PART!!!!"

I KNOW THAT ADOLESENCE IS  AN AGE VULNERABLE TO THE LURES AND TRAPS OF FANTASISES. AND LET ME CORRECT YOU. MOST OF THE TEENAGERS THINK THEY ARE IN LOVE. BUT NO. IT IS JUST A TEMPORARY CRUSH. TRUE LOVE IS WHEN YOU ARE BETHROTHED TO A MAN OR A WOMAN OF YOUR DESIRES. CAN YOU MARRY THE SAME GUY OR GAL YOU DATED WITH IN HIGH SCHOOL???? NO. IF SO THEN I CAN TAG IT AS "A RAREST OF THE RARE CASE." NEVERTHELESS I LIKED YOUR PERSUASIVE WRITING

Superblyme said...
Superblyme, Phenix City, Alabama

‎"I've said it a million times: I would love very much to be known as one of the great entertainers. if that's me having a big ego, then sorry. I'm shooting for the stars, and if I miss I'll hit the moon an that's pretty high" -Michael Buble

I dont know why it commented twice lol

Superblyme said...
Superblyme, Phenix City, Alabama

I get and know where you are coming from. I do believe love exists at this age, but i don't believe TRUE love exists at this age, there is A BIG diifference. . . Thi sis my full opinion on it.

At this age we are just now getting into relationships and boys/girl and we get to the point where we like a guy/girl, then like them for so long or so much that the only word we have to describe it is love. It's like we like them that much and like is an understatement and love is the next level of feelings, so it has been moved up to that. but true love I do not believe exists at this age because true love is for your spouse and what 13 year old is gonna get married at 13? now my parents started dating at 13 and are now 45 and have been together 32 out of those 35 years, and married 25 out of those 35. they quickly developed true love at the age of 20 when they got married.