After the Divorce | Teen Ink

After the Divorce

By RochelleV SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
RochelleV SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

“After the Divorce” is a wonderful, well-written, and heartfelt piece. Though I have not experienced my parents splitting personally, after reading the story I feel like I have. I now understand the struggle of parental separation.

“After the Divorce” is very well-written and unique. I admire the way that Molly was so personal. She told about her being the older sibling, about celebrating everything twice, and about Jim. These intricate details are, in my opinion, the very best part. I understood Molly on a much deeper level, as if I could physically put myself in her shoes. I felt like a part of the story.

The events that Molly lists as the story of a divorce seem realistic and relatable: the tension before the split, meeting the new boyfriend, and finally accepting things the way they are. I can easily comprehend why these events might occur and feel the emotions associated with them. Learning about the difficult journey that teenagers my age must experience has really exposed me to another world.

The timeline that Molly creates seems to be a very reasonable chain of events. I believe that for someone in the beginning stages of a parent separation, reading this piece may be very helpful. They may realize that they are not alone in the world and that there are many people like them. They may try to accept things as they are and to give their very own “Jim” a chance. But most importantly, they will understand that things do get better, and that this applies to everything.