Ideal Friend | Teen Ink

Ideal Friend

By mv196 BRONZE, Mundelien, Illinois
mv196 BRONZE, Mundelien, Illinois

Ideal friend

Many would agree that, their ideal friend would be the following: loyal, communicative and fair. Isn’t that the common friend that claims they are? In the book the kite Runner, written by Khaled Hosseini .the characters are a little too much of these traits or not enough of them. Amir the main character lacks all of these. For he believes his needs comes first and is willing to sacrifice anything to reach them. Breaking friendships, and willing to live all his life with something dreadful and haunting, than to lose his father’s attention and love. My ideal friend, consist of the following traits: understanding, in a way no one else seems to, being there when it feels nobody else is, motivational to always do better and helps you push forward along the way to become someone better.

Yes, it’s good to have a friend who’s fair, loyal and communicative. But, what if you or your friends don’t feel the need to be that in return? I once had a friend who I’d wait for, even after she canceled our plans many times. On the other hand she never waited for me when I need something; she would leave me, and accompany other friends. Our friendship hasn’t been the same because I made a mistake in expecting her to be as loyal as I was. In the book the kite runner Amir treats Hassan, his hazara servant, Hassan, unfairly. Even though they grew up together and as Amir puts it “a brotherhood between people who fed from the same breast, a kinship that not even time could break.”(Pg. 11). Amir didn’t consider their relationship as friends.

They say look for a friend who’s loyal to you. Now a day not even dating relationships are loyal. Expecting loyalty from someone else is unwise. You can’t expect someone to be it. They’ll talk, they’ll laugh, they’ll soon start to ignore. They’ll find someone better, Or different. It’s true that loyalty can soon become annoying e it tempts you. How can someone be that possibly good to you? “I hit him with another pomegranate, in the shoulder this time. The juice splattered in his face. “Hit me back!” I spat. “Hit me back, goddamn you!” I wish he would.”(pg.92). Amir feeling regretful with something he saw, an older kid named Assef raped Hassan right in front of him. Amir didn’t do anything to help him. He was coward. He now needed Hassan to do something back to him, to even out and forget everything. But, “everywhere I turned, I saw signs of his loyalty, his goddamn unwavering loyalty.” (pg. 89). “Then Hassan did pick up a pomegranate. He walked toward me. He opened it and crushed it against his own forehead.”(pg. 93).

Apart from how some can be, there is good in every person. Even Amir, “the soldiers laughed. One of them made a squealing sound. I told Hassan to keep walking. Keep walking. “I reached across my seat, slung my arm around him, pulled him close. He rested his head on my shoulder. “He took you for someone else,” I whispered. “He took you for someone else.”(pg.7). It’s better to have a friend who’s understanding, when the moment of grief takes over, and encourages you to be happy. We all need a friend who understands us. At least one can make a difference, knowing you’re not to only one who thinks a certain way or corrects you when you’re headed a wrong direction in life.

The simple thought of someone being there is reliving. The fact that someone knows you truly, and being there is an action many will thank. “Strangely, I was glad someone knew me for who I really was; I was tired of pretending.”(pg.106).
Motivation in a friend is key. These simple traits are my ideal friend, and are much more reasonable. To find a friend who fit with these traits, than to you wait for your friend to return these favors to you. That is why my ideal friend consists of the following traits: friend who there in the time of need, motivational, and understanding.