I'm sorry, what is love again? | Teen Ink

I'm sorry, what is love again?

By AmandaVi GOLD, Drayton Valley, Other
AmandaVi GOLD, Drayton Valley, Other

"Every song ends, but thats no reason not to enjoy the music?"

My mom grew up watching this fancy little show called “House on The Prairie”. Now if you aren’t familiar with this show, basically it’s about this family dated back in the late 19th century. This family was a normal, good Christian, and a farm family that goes through normal day to day drama and such. Of course, they all fall in love and live happily ever after. Laura learns how to be accepted by others and becomes a teacher, Mary learns to deal with being blind and grow from it, Carrie grows up in a good environment, and Pa and Ma grow old together and smile every day. We like to think that’s how it was back then, but how would we know anyways? Nowadays, kids don’t watch “House on the Prairie” (unless you’re like me and your mother makes you because she thinks you’ll learn things. We watch “Jersey Shore” or “Teen Mom” and basically anything on MTV. Obviously, it’s not the same. Instead of learning how to respect your parents like Laura did, we learn that teen pregnancy is hard like Amber did. On MTV there is a show called “1 girl 5 gays” which is pretty much just one straight girl asking questions to 5 homosexual men. It seems as though when this show came out, everyone had something to say about. Honestly, in my generation (I am almost 15) it is said that there are many more homosexual people than any other generation. I don’t believe this is true at all.

Truth is that people who are homosexual in generations that have passed would never admit it or really embrace it. I can see why. It is horrible how people can be so rude and terrible to people that are gay. It’s their life and you have no right to judge them. Bullying is always a concern with parents. But what if your parents are homophobes? Those types of parents basically teach their children that it’s wrong to be homosexual and that people who are shouldn’t be. These parents are teaching their children how to bully right on the spot. The worst part is if their child is homosexual. Their child would grow up depressed and hated, not that the parents would know. This is where the term “Coming out of the closet” started. It’s said that it’s the hardest part of someone’s life, coming out in public. It makes me angry! People shouldn’t have to deal with “coming out”! People shouldn’t have to worry about what their parents, family and friends would say. We should all feel comfortable around each other.

Now I went to a Christian school from grade 5-9 and I learned a bit about what they think about homosexuals. One book in the bible named “Leviticus” spoke on this kind of. Leviticus 20:13 says “If a man also lies with mankind, as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be on them.” Leviticus can be found in the Old Testament. I also read in the Old Testament about putting a lamb’s blood on your door and sacrifices. So does that mean I should go kill a lamb too? Of course not! You know what else it says in the Bible? Matthew 7:1 “Judge not, that you be not judged.” One of the Ten Commandments says “Love your neighbour as yourself.” Why do some Christians live off of one or two verses in the Old Testament when there are so many verses about loving each other in the entire Bible?

When New York was going through changing the law and deciding whether or not to allow same sex marriage, many people got involved. People in the streets held signs about equality within them. Signs like “Did we vote on your marriage?” or “The Gay Agenda: 1. Equality 2. See Item #1”. Finally, gay marriage was legalized in New York. And you know what will happen? Gay men and Lesbian women will get married. What will happen to straight people? Nothing, absolutely nothing. It’s pathetic how far people will go to stop equality.

All in all, I leave you with one simple message. Love is love. No matter who you love, love will still be the same love. If two gay people get married it’s none of your business. They didn’t freak out on you for being in love. Judging people based on what they look like and how they act is horrible but now we’re judging people based on who they love? It’s ridiculous. So please remember these three words, love is love. That’s all you need to know.

drsbisme SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"She'll come back as fire, to burn all the liars, and leave a blanket of ash on the ground."

It's good to see that you know what you're talking about, especially since you come from a somewhat religious background.  I totally agree with what you're saying.

andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
absolutly wonderful article, i completely agree with you! my aunt is a lesbian she tols every one about two weeks ago, she is no different too me.