Don’t date just to date | Teen Ink

Don’t date just to date

August 29, 2021
By Anonymous

It seems that being in a relationship and dependent on someone else is a necessity for almost every young teen and young adult around the world. I mean who can blame us? We are told through almost all romance novels and all tv shows that having a love interest is one of the most exciting experiences an individual can embark on. However, it is extremely rare to fall in love and maintain a healthy and loving relationship for the rest of your life.
 
First and foremost; leaving love up to fate is essential for almost all teens since being peer pressured into a relationship is something every single high school student has felt. However, it is important to be aware that this is the moment any young man or woman starts to develop both sexually and mentally. One begins to discover themselves and understand what they like and don’t like as well as how they feel and understanding their own sexuality. It is definitely not the time to commit to a five-year relationship with someone who may or may not be manipulating you or using a newly pubescent individual as someone they can gaslight.
 
Secondly, never underestimate the power your friends can have over your decision making, as every young girl or boy would do anything to fit in. Entering a relationship without thinking about it first could mentally scar you if your partner is either physically or emotionally abusive, perhaps making it hard for you to get into relationships in the future. It is not worth gaining the weight of a relationship than losing it, making it haunt you for the rest of your life.

High school is the time young individuals should discover themselves, not lose themselves. Being self aware is an important aspect every teenager should be in order to avoid conflicting relationship situations. 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


The author's comments:

Being a senior in high school, I believe that I have seen enough toxic relationships and the most strong woman becoming blind to the red flags in their relationships. However, what really gave me this idea was seeing the girls in my school rush into relationships in order to have 'a date for prom' and 'someone to be with right before college.' What they do not understand is that putting themselves in relationships that could possibly cause a lot of emotional damage can psychologically affect their mentality when it comes to being in a serious relationship or result in developing trust issues and commitment issues. Therefore, I felt it was necessary to put how I felt about blindly succumbing to society's idea of teenage love.