Go Veggie With Style | Teen Ink

Go Veggie With Style MAG

By MelodyBee BRONZE, Tarrytown, New York
MelodyBee BRONZE, Tarrytown, New York

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

I am a vegetarian. Many people are quick to stereotype vegetarianism as bizarre behavior, appropriate for those on another planet. I treasure our Earth, and since we only have one, we should protect it and the wildlife that populates it. But that’s only one reason to be a vegetarian.

Vegetarians may live longer, healthier lives. There is a ­correlation between red meat consumption and diseases ­including osteoporosis, kidney stones, gall stones, ­diabetes, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, gum disease, and even acne. From an economic standpoint, it requires less land, money, and energy to produce foods for a vegetarian diet. While there are many benefits to being a vegetarian, only a handful of those who attempt to adopt this lifestyle succeed.

The most important quality is dedication. We are surrounded by meat. It would be easy to forgo vegetarianism at any moment and devour a steak. This is why vegetarians must be staunch and zealous.

Creativity is almost as important as commitment. It’s easy to tire of eating nothing but ­salad. But with a little creativity and some soy products, almost any meal can become vege­tarian-friendly. Many ethnic cuisines also offer abundant flavorful options. Studying these cultures is an excellent way to generate new ideas. Another is to go to a restaurant that specializes in vegetarian food. This can spark a plethora of creative ideas.

Since creativity is a necessary attribute, it is no coincidence that many vegetarians work in creative fields. Many brilliant individuals were vegetarians, including Socrates, Leonardo da Vinci, and Albert Einstein. Some current famous vegetarians are Madonna, Paul McCartney, ­Natalie Portman, Pink, and Milo Ventimiglia.

Not everyone wants to be a vegetarian. Accepting this is part of being a vegetarian with style. Forcing your beliefs on others, by subjecting them to long lectures on the nutritional benefits of not eating meat or shoving PETA fliers in their faces, is disrespectful. Stylish vegetarians should also be able to gracefully decline a meaty dish without offending their hosts. Another differentiating quality between the stylish and the un-stylish vegetarian is the ability to stick with it. The latter group can typically be overheard saying things like “I’m a vegetarian – I just eat chicken,” or “I haven’t eaten meat in ten days. I’m a vegetarian.”

Being educated is also important. Do your ­research about different types of vegetarians, and learn as much nutritional information as possible. Your goal as a stylish vegetarian is to be healthy, not trendy. Don’t become a vegetarian solely ­because a celebrity says it’s cool. People who do rarely stick with it for long.

Being a successful vegetarian has been easy for me – I’ve been one since I was born. My family is vegetarian, so no meat is available in my house. However, constantly being surrounded by others who eat meat, and sometimes those who are not accepting of vegetarianism, can be a challenge. To be successful, I’ve relied on personal traits like flexibility, since I’m often in situations where the food choices aren’t ideal.

A common mistake is quitting before your body has adjusted to the transition. It can be difficult to stay committed in the beginning because of temptation. How­ever, this fades over time.

Another common mistake is quitting because you’ve been misinformed about the ­nutritional wisdom of being a vegetarian. That’s why it is vital to be educated. Countless people will tell you that it’s impossible to obtain the nutrients and protein your body requires without meat, but they are incorrect. People actually need only 44 to 55 grams of protein a day, and that is easily found in a vegetarian diet. Many meat eaters are consuming triple that amount, which is not beneficial; on the contrary, it has been linked with Alz­heimer’s disease. Vegetables can also supply all the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients your body needs. However, if you’re still not convinced, you can take a multivitamin.

A society in which people have the constitutional right to live freely is well suited for vegetarians. If you need further convincing, read Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. In a style comparable to Upton Sinclair’s The Jungle, Schlosser passionately exposes the dangers of eating meat. For great recipes, How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman has got you covered.

Vegetarianism is an important cause that more people should support. PETA estimates that every vegetarian saves over a hundred animals a year. Not only is being a vegetarian healthy, but it also has a positive impact on the world.

TxDragon BRONZE, Saratoga, California

"Come and Take it!" -citizens of Gonzales, Texas, when the Mexicans tried to take away the cannon used to defend their town.

or a big, delicious bacon burger?

TxDragon BRONZE, Saratoga, California

but they are not the dominant kind. There is a reason that cows eat grass all day while humans invent air conditioning, ipods, and such.

dragonbiscuits SILVER, Near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"You cannot acheive peace with violence" -several people

Yes Yes Yes! I love how you put that! I feel the same! Go vegetarians! XD

Not to be kept in terrible conditions, abused, and killed inhumanely.

Erperderp said...
Erperderp, Bangor, Maine

EAT THE STUPID COOKIE!!!!

Im the only veg in my family I love it.... I am feeling happer all the time than befor i was veg!!!

manders101 said...
everyone in my family is a MAJOR carnivore but me, just i, am a vegetarian! ive been one for 3 yrs and im proud of it!:D i love this paper! its so true! keep it up ;D

cooked said...
Unfortunately, if everyone in the world were a vegetarian there would not be enough food for the world to survive. While it is a "noble" cause like eating only organic foods, it is not realistic for the entire population to adopt this lifestyle. The average American eats about 200 lbs of meat a year, multiple that by the number of people in the United States of about 304,059,724 according to the US Census Bureau that's about 60,811,944,800 lbs of meat. And that's give or take and that's just the United States. Not to mention the rest of the world. You may think that the land used to grow feed for livestock could be changed to grow feed for people, however the soil isn't suitable as it doesn't carry the nutrients need and is too cold during most of the year. And consider the livelihoods of the people who raise animals. Also the assumption that all animals killed for consumption that many vegetarians have is not true. Certainly spaces where animals are being raised are getting smaller, unfortunately it is becoming necessary with the increase in population, decrease in farm land and increase in consumer demands for meat. However, not all animals are raised in confinement or mistreated, for example Wendy's and McDonald's now have tons of requirements on their shipping and handling of livestock as well as the raising of it. The conditions that many livestock are in are in better conditions then the millions of abused pets every year. Also, a lot of people think certain things in the livestock industry are abuse such as docking sheep tails or putting sows in farrowing crates, however these are things that are done for the safety of the animal. Docking tails on sheep is needed to prevent infection because the tails of sheep do not have strong enough muscles for them to move in order to poop without it sticking to themselves and their tails. This provides a harvesting ground for infection. The crating of pigs is needed for the pigs so that the piglets are safe and can stay warm without the mother taking the heat lamp or harming the caregiver of the pigs. These are just a few examples.

CBishop said...
When's the last time that you took a bite into a nice, juicy steak???

CBishop said...
God put animals on the face of the earth for us to eat.

spinningskies BRONZE, Snohomish, Washington
I'm a vegetarian andd this is a good article. and its true! poor little animals....people eating them......

Malvina SILVER said...
Malvina SILVER, Cleburne, Texas

Why love when you aint loved back?

OMG,me to?

Malvina SILVER said...
Malvina SILVER, Cleburne, Texas

Why love when you aint loved back?

Hi i am Nuu~Nuu and i LOVE your story

Rain-Bow said...
yay... i Love This. Im a vegetarian. I hate animal cruelty. Poor animals go thru alot of pain for others to be happy. I hope that all vegetarians make that great impact someday. I talk to my friends about the way those poor animals suffer, but i wont force them to become vegetarians. ANIMALS ARN'T OURS TO EAT...WEAR...EXPERIMENT ON... they have the right to live just like us. I live in a house full of meat-eaters. its really hard. But the temptation does fade. Keep Vegetarianism<3 Going...Soon...Animals Will Be Free...

fortheloveofwriting GOLD, A Place, Oklahoma

"Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~Pablo Picasso

Love is patient, love is kind; it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
1 Corinthians 13:4
A man's ways are his own, but the LORD weighs the heart.

very true.

~Pablo Picasso

1 Corinthians 13:4

I am the only one in my house who doesn't eat meat. Although, I don't eat a ton of veggies, so i get tired of eating the same things over and over, but I'm trying to find new recipes. I don't TRY to make people vegetarian, but i try to make them understand why i am. All my friends eat meat, and so do my parents. yes, it's hard, and I hate going into barbecue places, but I can handle it. Thanks for the great article!

Majika BRONZE said...
Majika BRONZE, Gainesville, Florida
-claps- That's a great article! ^^; I've been a vegetarian all my life, but my dad isn't. I also run into awkward situations sometimes. I really encourage people who are veggie to stay that way, and sometimes I put the facts in front of people who aren't, but I don't force XD That's mean, they should decide for themselves though once they know the truth, because in most cases it's hidden >.<

windblossom said...
windblossom, Hyderabad, Other

"The caterpillar does all the hard work, but the butterfly gets all the publicity"

Well my family has been vegetarian for generations!! Many families in India are that way even now1 great article though!!:)

earthgil said...
on Jul. 21 2009 at 3:15 am
I was a vegetarian for at least seven months, and i LOVED it!! some of my BF's have been raised vegetarians so that was helpful. but i made probably the biggest mistake for a veg. I had turkey for thanksgiving. I thought it was going to be just that once, but it went downhill from there. Great artical!! I am going to be a veg again. Thanks!!

Jesyca said...
You're awesome. Vegetarians kick ass.

Kathy:] BRONZE said...
Kathy:] BRONZE, Newark, Illinois
My Grandma Used To Have A Cow.

She Loved That Cow.

She Never Thought Of Eating It.

It Was Her Best Friend.

I Just Thought I Would Share.