Global Warming | Teen Ink

Global Warming

October 29, 2011
By TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
13 articles 25 photos 107 comments

Ever thought why the weather is so hot? Are you melting like the ice bergs in Antarctica? In the last 100 years the earth's average surface temperature increased by about 0.8 °C. It sounds like a tiny change. But actually, it is a huge matter and has immense effects. Global average temperature increase leads to the rise in evaporation. The ice and lakes of some places are disappearing, such as the decreasing amount of snow of the Himalayas and the shrinking of Owens Lake of California. It also affects polar bears adversely. Polar bears are getting skinnier as they have to swim far enough to find a piece of ice to rest on. On the other hand, 40% of the world population relies on the drinking water from the snow mountains and ice. Quick melting of ice and snow mountains will lead the huge loss of drinking water. Is it us humans who created this tragedy or is it the nature to blame?
Some scientists from United States stated that global warming is not caused by humans but by nature itself. They have done research over several years and have discovered that the increasing of carbon dioxide has nothing to do with increasing of temperature over the past decades. However, I believe that is not true. According to the politician Al gore, he said that the layer of greenhouse gases are so thin like spray paint on the surface of the earth. Human beings definitely can do harm as emissions of carbon dioxide have already affected the composition of the atmosphere. Everyone in the world is concerned about global warming, countries have tried to do something to alleviate this problem. World leaders hold international meetings to try and make countries be held responsible for their past and future actions. They also need to state the amount that they will reduce their carbon emissions in percentage terms. These G20 summit meetings are costly and ineffective as countries refuse to be accountable and will not be tied to a percentage reduction.
The government has promoted the use of renewable energy, leadless gasoline, electric cars and catalytic converters these kinds of solutions to citizens. However, does it seem to be effective? Has the whole world changed yet?
In this case, no, global warming is still getting worse. Does it mean we should be walking every day? Does it mean we should turn off the lights all day and wait till the sun rise to give us light? Does it mean we should throw our iPhones away and save energy? Everyone knows that such non-sense is mission impossible. Now, here are some practical solutions provided by myself.
There can be various environmental themes which are fun and practical. For example, the government organizations organize game stalls in the shopping mall to promote saving energy and prevent the emission of green house gases, some quiz about global warming and some interactive games such as calculating energy used in a day. The basic way to change the serious situation of global warming is to start from education. Sticking it the school as a compulsory subject is not practical; instead we should make it fun. Game stalls are one of the suggested ways. Furthermore, there could be schemes that people can join in.
Many citizens are concerned about this global problem but in practical terms can start to take action locally in their individual countries. In Australia individual households have been encouraged to participate in the yearly use less energy scheme by turning off household lights for only one hour in the evening. Hong Kong and some other countries have also started this practice once or twice a year to encourage citizens to participate. Personally, I don’t think that it was successful as many people go out on Saturday evenings and are not at home. Less than ten years ago one private company built a model home called Integer in Wan Chai, Hong Kong. My father worked as an Engineer on this project. This home made use of alternative sources of energy. It is a pity that many people did not know about this home perhaps due to its location or inadequate exposure. I think that for successful campaigns to educate members of the public that we need to have more competitions for example promote home of the future however encourage them to come up with ideas and designs.
We cannot change the world overnight. However we can put on our thinking caps and start to think about how we can take small steps in our individual countries to tackle this global problem, let’s start in school, at work and at home in our elevated flats.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 18 comments.


TaurusGal GOLD said...
on Jul. 23 2013 at 2:11 am
TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
13 articles 25 photos 107 comments
Take action.

TaurusGal GOLD said...
on Jul. 23 2013 at 2:10 am
TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
13 articles 25 photos 107 comments
Thanks a lot, your comment really helped.  I would do more research. =]"  

on Jun. 12 2013 at 9:52 am
TheSihlouettedMan BRONZE, Hinckley, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There is something more to the knowledge that allows us to see. Some rely on logic to be their eyes. Others believe they know what logic is. But to be completely faithful in logic, you must someday realize that it points to the incomprehensible."

Oh, and one last thing, additional research has shown that termites produce more than twice as much carbon dioxide than the world's smokestack supply. Go ahead and google it. And if this is what nature itself produces in the atmosphere, how the heck could we possibly have such a LARGE affect with our emissions?

on Jun. 12 2013 at 9:47 am
TheSihlouettedMan BRONZE, Hinckley, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There is something more to the knowledge that allows us to see. Some rely on logic to be their eyes. Others believe they know what logic is. But to be completely faithful in logic, you must someday realize that it points to the incomprehensible."

For the record, have you ever heard of concensous science? (A.K.A. A group of people sitting down at a table and saying which things they believe to be correct without any sort of research to back it) Well, I hate to bring it up, but this whole global warming thing, is just a hoax. You can look it up, scientific research has been done, and this is nothing new to our world. The Globe goes through 30 year warming cooling cycles, and this is nothing we haven't seen before. P.S. I've heard of some people being caught falsifying data upon this argument, you'll have to do some research but, I believe they said that some even detonated TNT in order to get those melting ice berg tapes. P.S. P.S. Al Gore is a politician, need I say more. I saw one of his videos, and could have pointed out the flaws in one of his arguments right there.

Khaoula BRONZE said...
on Mar. 22 2012 at 6:04 am
Khaoula BRONZE, Annaba, Other
2 articles 1 photo 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
" be you ... simply one of your kind "^_^

all u said is true........if the only listen to us :p

on Mar. 21 2012 at 10:00 pm
JessicaRae7 GOLD, Buffalo, New York
14 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Music is the air we breathe." ~Molly Rae Berger
"Being sad is a waste of time." ~Molly Rae Berger
"Girls should never be afraid to be smart." - Emma Watson

You really made me want to go out and try and help the world. :) I really like this.

TaurusGal GOLD said...
on Mar. 21 2012 at 10:41 am
TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
13 articles 25 photos 107 comments
It's called global warming because the average temperature of the globe has risen.

on Mar. 21 2012 at 10:33 am
Knights.Love BRONZE, Silverton, Oregon
4 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There is creative reading as well as creative writing."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

"When writing a novel a writer should create living people; people not characters. A character is a caricature."
~Ernest Hemingway~

Maybe they should call it something other than "global warming" if it causes just extreme weather. You know?

TaurusGal GOLD said...
on Mar. 21 2012 at 10:31 am
TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
13 articles 25 photos 107 comments
I am studying Geography. Well... global warming causes extreme weather, so maybe that's why the place you live is cooler. But you still have a point, global warming may not be true.

on Mar. 21 2012 at 10:24 am
Knights.Love BRONZE, Silverton, Oregon
4 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There is creative reading as well as creative writing."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

"When writing a novel a writer should create living people; people not characters. A character is a caricature."
~Ernest Hemingway~

Personally, I don't believe in global warming. Just by looking at the weather in my own home... it looks more like it's "global cooling" than anything. I mean... we used to not EVER get snow. And now it's snowing RIGHT NOW in March. Weird. Our summers used to be at least warm if not a little hot. Last summer, it didn't stop raining until about August. By April/May, it used to be warm-ish and sunny. Last year... we had only a few sunny/warm-ish days in April/May. It was, again, mostly rain.

TaurusGal GOLD said...
on Nov. 4 2011 at 3:25 am
TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
13 articles 25 photos 107 comments
Actually, it is controversial whether global warming is caused by human factors or the nature. However, I believe that it is rational thinking human beings are one of the causing factors. It is possible that the atmosphere content is affected by human activities as the atmosphere is very thin.

on Nov. 3 2011 at 1:49 pm
onedirectionlover GOLD, Hampton, Virginia, Virginia
16 articles 3 photos 37 comments
I'm not sure how old this article is, but within the last couple of weeks scientiests realized that humans can't cause a climate change at all. It's actually sun spots and gases on the sun exploding. Plus these kinds of things happen over a million years all the time, like the Ice Age, and stuff like that. We can't go anything about it.

TaurusGal GOLD said...
on Nov. 2 2011 at 10:15 am
TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
13 articles 25 photos 107 comments
This is a reply to Veona  =]"

TaurusGal GOLD said...
on Nov. 2 2011 at 10:14 am
TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
13 articles 25 photos 107 comments
Well... you do have a point, the government definitely have done something to alleviate the problem, however, I think it is still not enough. Learning should be easy and fun so that it can grab everyone especially youngters' attention in the beginning. Then, they will realize the whole meaning of the whole 'game' or 'scheme', is that global warming is getting more serious.

Veona said...
on Nov. 2 2011 at 10:09 am

It's a well-organized passage that started with an attention grabber-- through asking questions.
Lots of informtion is provided at the start of the passge so to provide a clear background image for the readers.

I do agree that we individuals should take steps to fight against global warming. However, you couldn't blindly focus only on the cons of the imposing measures by the Government.
Lastly, better paragaphing the solution part. Well-done and keep it up!


TaurusGal GOLD said...
on Nov. 2 2011 at 9:36 am
TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
13 articles 25 photos 107 comments
thanks... 

ct.belieber said...
on Nov. 2 2011 at 9:21 am
rather informative, like you not just commenting on the wrongdoings of human behaviour, but also offering some down-to-earth solutions xd

karen;) said...
on Nov. 2 2011 at 9:09 am
It's good to ask question of the beginning of the passage.
Also, you can cite many datum and persuasive reference to support you idea.
Furthmore, you can mainly point out the problem of global warming, such as causes, effects and also some suggestions.
Good Job!:)