Climate Change - A Global Issue | Teen Ink

Climate Change - A Global Issue

By Manan25 SILVER, Gurgaon, Other
Manan25 SILVER, Gurgaon, Other

"I want people to be afraid of how much they love me"
~ Michael Scott

Climate change is a very big global problem and is a very broad one too. It has a lot of different parts to it and all of those are almost equally bad. This climate change, according to me, is happening due to several different factors combined. Some of them are the burning of fossil fuels, industrialization, deforestation, emission of harmful gasses, and many others. 

The burning of fossil fuels namely coal, oil, and gas release harmful gasses, like carbon dioxide and methane, in very high amounts which is directly responsible for a major chunk of climate change. Deforestation may be done for many different factors, one even being industries, and that is harmful for the planet itself. Trees are considered the lungs of the Earth, and if the lungs are cut down, climate change is just inevitable. 

This climate change is not just affecting a small group of people, it is a problem for the whole of humankind, and it is likely to continue unless we find another planet to live on, which is way ahead in the future. 

This climate change has devastating effects. As more and more heat-trapping gasses are being produced every day, the overall temperature of the planet is increasing. A degree celsius or two might not affect us a lot, but the environment has different views. The ice, or more appropriately the glaciers, all around the world are melting at a rate they are not supposed to. This has led to increased water levels all around the globe which is directly responsible for extreme floods in coastal areas. What’s more is that estimates show many major islands could be submerged in the ocean in the coming decades, which if you ask me is terrifying. 

This has led to increased heat in many places which results in draughts and a shortage of water. Water is such an important resource to us that we can not imagine living without it, but that is a reality in some areas around the globe. That is all because of climate change. Not to mention how climate change is affecting the other life forms on Earth. The ocean water temperature is rising, making it inhabitable for many sea-based life forms. Even on land, many species of animals are left estranged from their own habitats because they have nowhere else to go. It is not easy for them to change their habitats for which their bodies have adapted for centuries, as a result most of these animals end up dying. 

This is a very major issue that cannot be solved overnight. Although if we wish to live in this Earth for centuries to come, we need to take a united step against this Climate Change, otherwise we are surely doomed!

References:

myclimate.org/information/faq/faq-detail/what-are-the-effects-of-climate-change/

climate.nasa.gov/effects/

thenationalnews.com/uae/environment/2021/08/09/what-are-the-5-main-causes-of-climate-change/

nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/climate-change/

In this blog, I briefly explain Climate Change and its effects on us.