Which Orcas is the Bill AB 2305 really protecting? | Teen Ink

Which Orcas is the Bill AB 2305 really protecting?

By ANGELAMC BRONZE, Sacramento, California
ANGELAMC BRONZE, Sacramento, California

On February 4th, 2016 California’s Assembly passed the bill, Orca Protection Act AB 2305. Under the Orca Protection Act, orcas are no longer allowed to be captured for the use of entertainment or performances. The Orca Protection Act also bans the breeding of orcas within captivity and states that orcas could only remain in captivity for educational purposes and rehabilitation. With this, these may be the last orcas to exist in captivity.

This should not be seen as justice.

The bill was a direct response to the outcry that came from the gruesome documentary "Blackfish", and yet the issues presented in the documentary that the bill addressed are few and far between. The efforts behind this bill were a moment of passion by legislators but they would never compromise SeaWorld's claim on the orcas they torture on a regular basis. It is too little too late as far as I am concerned.

The fact that the California legislative body allowed SeaWorld to continue housing those eleven orcas is proof that those comprising of California’s Assembly do not take the issue of marine conservation seriously enough. This bill should not be an acceptable solution for anyone who considers themselves an animal rights' activist.

The most important step to bettering the lives of the aquatic animals still living in amusement parks' inadequate living situations is to continue to push for stricter legislation in regards to the kind of display and conditions that marine animals are kept in. The only reason those orcas that are still in captivity is because this legislation did not push the issue of aquatic mammals protection far enough and it won't until the public pushes for it.

The protection provided by the Orca Protection Act does not remove the eleven orcas from their stressful and inadequate living conditions and does not even prevent SeaWorld from displaying them for so-called educational purposes.

As aforementioned documentary "Blackfish" argued, SeaWorld information has proven to be flawed and contradictory to that of known marine scientists. It is doubtful that SeaWorld will have the ability to provide actual educational value in their orca display and yet the California legislative body still was unwilling to remove the eleven orcas from SeaWorld's custody.

There are different options besides forcing the eleven orcas in Seaworld to live their lives being spectacles, but the Legislative Body did not care to pursue any other option. This lack of consideration only adds to the general public’s blasé attitude towards aquatic animals' wellbeing.

SeaWorld wrote in response to the Orca Protection Act being passed that, “Most of SeaWorld's orcas were born in a zoological setting and the environmental threats in our oceans, like oil spills and pollution are huge dangers for these animals. The best, and safest, future for these whales is to let them live out their lives at SeaWorld, receiving top care, in state-of-the-art habitats."

This however should not include sea pens, which are completely safe and facilitated by marine biologists,

Obviously though, SeaWorld only cares about money and not animal cruelty as sea pens can cost upwards five million dollars to build and five hundred thousand dollar in upkeep each year. SeaWorld and the states’ representatives do not want to admit it, but it is glaringly obvious that they do not care to what the degree SeaWorld’s immoral and completely selfish actions affect innocent animals.

The pressure put on SeaWorld and other aquatic parks that do rehabilitation programs by states’ legislation will improve the lives of the captive marine animals and provide sufficient education opportunities for student and adults alike. Which will inturn provide more support for marine conservation efforts.

By rallying the support of the general public, the state legislation will put harsher regulations on large corporations like SeaWorld Inc. They will not be able to disguise their misleading aquatic circuses as educational opportunities for students and their poor conservation efforts as charitable work anymore. More public support will also create pressure for the release of the eleven orcas still held in captivity so they can live the rest of their lives peacefully. There will no longer be a need for documentaries like "Blackfish" when these corporation are finally held accountable.