Heroin | Teen Ink

Heroin

March 25, 2014
By jrodm15 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
jrodm15 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Heroin is a very deadly drug that also has many effects on a person. It also bad because it can be snorted, injected and smoked so people can get things from sharing things. People who are using heroin are losing connection to their family because when you start heroin you can’t stop because its so addictive and nobody wants to be around a crazy person who steals their money and things to get there drugs.

Approximately 13.5 million people in the world take opioids, A substance in heroin, including 9.2 million who use heroin. Major withdrawal symptoms peak between 48 and 72 hours after the last dose and can last up to a week. Some people experience withdrawal symptoms for as long as a few months after stopping the drug. some things that you get from taking heroin is shortness of breath, dry mouth, constricted (small) pupils, sudden changes in behavior or actions, disorientation cycles of hyper alertness followed by suddenly nodding off droopy appearance. Also some of the behavior symptoms affect them too they are lying or other deceptive behavior, avoiding eye contact, or distant field of vision, substantial increases in time spent sleeping, Increase in slurred words, jumbled or unclear speech and many more effects. once you start heroin its very hard to stop because its so addictive. Also people who take heroin spend in between $150 and $200 a day and it would also stop some crime because people kill to get their drugs and its also illegal to sell it.

Doctor Mary L. Gavin, MD said that “Many people who are addicted to heroin inject the drug into a vein using needles. They may inject the drug several times a day. Over time, the needle marks, sometimes called tracks, can become permanent scars. Often, heroin addicts will share needles, which can lead to infection with dangerous germs like hepatitis B or C or HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. Heroin is a very addictive drug and many people find it extremely difficult to stop using it ,even after using heroin for just the first or second time. Heroin users constantly crave their next dose. If heroin addicts suddenly try to stop using the drug or are unable to get another dose, they often develop withdrawal symptoms, like feelings of panic, sleeplessness, bad chills and sweats, muscle pain, stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.” So that shows that if you take heroin once you will get addicted and if you take too much you could die.

Philip Seymour Hoffman from the hunger games who just recently died from a multiple drug overdose with a needle in his arm one drug that he was taking was heroin. He had a problem with heroin in the past but he went to rehab and went twenty-three years but admitted last year to being on it again. This shows even though you have had rehab it so hard to take it away and that goes with any illegal drugs. This also shows how people you admire of think good of can turn bad because of drugs.

So after all the things I have said there are solutions to solve this problem and I have some. First we can have assemblies in schools and other things to show how it will hurt you even if you take it just once. Also the assemblies would show how you can get addicted or even die if you take too much and most people don't know how much they are taking or how much is the right amount. Also you can show stories of people who took it and got addicted and had a bad life so then the kid wouldn't want to live like that. This will make people more aware of the drug and show what will happen to them.

That is why heroin is a bad deadly drug and we need to control it because it bringing friends and family away from each other. If people know the effects of heroin maybe they won't take it because they will know what it can do to them and I don’t think anyone wants the side effects of heroin.