Drug Abuse | Teen Ink

Drug Abuse

By JLiempeck SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
JLiempeck SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

If a thing is worth doing,
It's worth doing right.

-Hunter S. Thopson

Do you have a friend or family member who uses prescription drugs? Do you wake up every morning and wonder if they are still alive and well? Some people do! Many people have family or friends who use prescription drugs without a prescription. By taking drugs that are not personally prescribed for you, can lead to serious side effects, addiction,overdose,or even death.

Prescription drugs need to taken under the supervision of a doctor.When used improperly, they can be just as dangerous as a illegal drug. The most commonly abused prescription drugs are pain killers, depressants, and stimulants. According to results from the 2010 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), an estimated 2.4 million Americans used prescription drugs non -medically. This is caused from teens trying the drugs at parties or when out with friends. The kids trying the drugs then get hooked after a couple of uses. Other people may also be having depression problems or may be bullied, and they will resort to drugs for the high. Teens can get the drugs from someone at school, someone off the street, the local dealer, or if they are really addicted, they will start to steal pills from family and friends.

Some signs of teens using drugs are, when you notice that pills are missing or whole bottles are missing, money missing,and jewelry missing. If teens have jobs,as soon as they are paid,they immediately spend that money on pills.

What can someone do to help people on prescription drugs? You can take them to a rehab program for help, you can take their communication from the outside world away,you can make them go every where with you,you can drive them to work and pick them up, you can take them to therapy. That way you can trust that they are not doing the pills any more. Some people don't know where the teens are getting the drugs. Teens can buy pills from people.Those people are know as dealers or suppliers. Teens can also pay people to get the pills from the pharmacy even though they're not prescribed to them. Teens are either crushing and snorting the pills, or they are injecting the pills into their bloodstream for the euphoric high.

I have had a family member who abused drugs and that is why I chose drug abuse for my topic because I think it is a problem in the world today. Too many people are dying over this, whether it’s overdosing and dying or getting killed during a drug deal.

what inspired me to write this is a family member was doing drugs