WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING... | Teen Ink

WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING...

October 4, 2009
By OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other
OscarDonovan BRONZE, Cowes, Other
4 articles 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
You should try everything in life, except incest and barn-dancing.


I’m sorry to say it, but scrolling through this category makes me a little ashamed of being a teenager.

By the looks of things, most of us are intent on gabbling on about the news that (shock-horror) smoking, drinking and drugs can shorten your life-span. As if we haven’t been told enough already. Now, I’m not advocating a life that revolves around the next fix, cig, or flagon - but let’s at least enjoy ourselves. Without these three deadly sins, where would we be?

Where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs? How could the artist, musician or novelist survive without the odd hasty cigarette clenched between their troubled lips? Where would the weekends of stumbling, spewing and stupidity be without the litres of white cider and mysterious mixed spirits?

If we are all as clever as we would like to think, why is it that we still torture our bodies with these fatal excesses?

The answer is fun - doing stuff for the pure hell of it - it’s supposed to be what we (teenagers) live for. Now is the time to feast on rebellion, however petty, and believe ourselves to be invincible. So why waste it preaching to the unconvertible, when there’s plenty of sensible heads on aging shoulders to do that for us?

Let’s stop patronising each other, and just enjoy surviving. After all, good health is merely the slowest rate at which we can die!

The author's comments:
I know bad ratings are going to be inevitable (if anyone even reads this) but I hope that if you actually do give it a glance, you'll be able to see where I'm coming from. I understand the terrible affects that drink and drugs can have on our lives - but let's not forget the unforgettable and inspirational moments that they can provide...

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 265 comments.


Scoobydoo said...
on May. 25 2011 at 9:02 am

Good thought, johnxrox. Should we acclaim Al Capone for adding an element to Chicago culture/society?

Or what about the family life of these drugged artists/musicians? Obviously there was something troubling them...why else would they drown themselves in drugs and alcohol. Yes, they were still able to produce many amazing works of art/music, but gracious...drugs do nothing but dumb you down and space you out. Seriously. Real artists are ones who need NOTHING to "enhance" their perception of reality. True art is being in control of your senses, and through that control, creating a masterpiece.


Scoobydoo said...
on May. 25 2011 at 8:57 am
Right on, Kathleen. :/

on May. 8 2011 at 6:24 pm
Actually, I think I'd do okay without an odd hasty cigarette clenched between my troubled lips. But to each his own. :)

on May. 8 2011 at 1:52 pm
ClaraRose SILVER, Glasgow, Other
7 articles 0 photos 108 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's not what we are born, but what we grow to be."

"you think that because I am Poor, Obscure, Plain and little, that I am Soulless and Heartless. I have just as much soul as you and full as much heart"

you are sooo right

on Apr. 24 2011 at 9:02 pm
xenon333 PLATINUM, Billerica, Massachusetts
42 articles 0 photos 150 comments
YES!! PLEASE, people, stop over anlyzing your life and just live it!

on Apr. 16 2011 at 8:52 pm
Ariel_Berrot DIAMOND, Lansing, Michigan
52 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack, pressed to the wall--Dying but fighting back." -Claude Mckay

I love this article and I think you are so right. Whether its right or wrong I'll even say, that I do alot of stuff like I "Shouldn't" but for me its most of what makes life good. I'm very glad you posted this, and I'm glad others think that it isn't completely horible to do those things. I really admire you for writting this.

on Apr. 10 2011 at 10:12 pm
TheCreepyNeighbor BRONZE, Plymouth, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 34 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know my name. Not my story.

Well that was a bit harsh. She's right, basically she is saying live your life to the fullest instead of worrying about everything.

Maybe you won't do it with dru.gs, but live it up without over analyzing.


on Apr. 5 2011 at 7:42 pm
K.a.t.h.l.e.e.n. SILVER, Plymouth, Massachusetts
6 articles 0 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
See everything, Overlook a lot, Correct a little.

thanks! :)

Dreamboat said...
on Mar. 30 2011 at 2:33 pm
Dreamboat, Madison, Wisconsin
0 articles 0 photos 62 comments

Favorite Quote:
My name is Indigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.

Yea, I agree with K.a.t.h.l.e.e.n.  this has nothing to do with science.

 


on Mar. 25 2011 at 6:24 pm
WrItEr2010 BRONZE, Durango, Colorado
4 articles 0 photos 15 comments
my mother is a novelist and she does not smoke or do drugs or drink alcohol. 

on Mar. 25 2011 at 2:42 pm
K.a.t.h.l.e.e.n. SILVER, Plymouth, Massachusetts
6 articles 0 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
See everything, Overlook a lot, Correct a little.

I think a better titile for your article would be "Common Sense Takes the Fun Out of Life." It is not just science that tells us not to destroy ourselves, but common sense, of which you seem to be lacking...

on Mar. 2 2011 at 10:29 pm
a.singlenote SILVER, Little, Colorado
6 articles 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
The truest beauty in the world is exsquisite and makes your heart ache with something that you can't name.

Great article!! Much peace and love, man!

on Feb. 20 2011 at 12:52 am
SassyJones GOLD, Los Altos Hills, California
13 articles 5 photos 91 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We make our fourtunes, and we call them fate" earl of beaconsville.

i agree. Altough i think they should teach  what you should do if you decided to get high, drink extra. Or at least for drinking because its less contresversal. They should tell you about drinking lots of water, eating food before hand, extra

on Feb. 20 2011 at 12:50 am
SassyJones GOLD, Los Altos Hills, California
13 articles 5 photos 91 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We make our fourtunes, and we call them fate" earl of beaconsville.

i completly agree. I think you do have to reasearch and know alot about every drug, alchohal, included before deciding. But i love shreding stress and packing up a bowl or downing a resonable amount of alchohal and letting loose. The danger is when you can't have fun without doing these things.

on Feb. 9 2011 at 6:52 pm
consumedbygrace247 BRONZE, Durham, North Carolina
4 articles 2 photos 55 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Change the way people think, and things will never be the same." -Steve Biko (South African civil rights martyr)

No we don't have to promote violence because it doesn't need any help being around, its natural to life. Yes, you can argue that but to know peace you have to first know violence. So promote, no, it exists naturally

Cecilia said...
on Feb. 9 2011 at 10:15 am
i veary much like your artikle and i think your absulutly right and sorry for my horrible spelling lol

on Feb. 7 2011 at 7:36 am
johnxrox BRONZE, Friendswood, Texas
2 articles 2 photos 3 comments
While I do hold the opinion that the government has no place mandating what chemicals people decide to ingest, I will say that the notion that drugs serve as a crutch to art is silly to me. Sure maybe it influenced a few artists, but violence influences a lot of artists as well. Should we promote violence because art wouldn't be where it is today without it? 

on Feb. 4 2011 at 10:27 am
BaileyBurke BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"You never got to bloom, they cut you from the stem"

*you're right

lollypops GOLD said...
on Jan. 26 2011 at 10:23 am
lollypops GOLD, Pilot, Virginia
16 articles 5 photos 218 comments

Favorite Quote:
Live

be nice please

bnljack said...
on Jan. 25 2011 at 10:55 pm
bnljack, Vienna, Virginia
0 articles 0 photos 6 comments
terrible comment. nobody will ever become a better person if they reject all new viewpoints and information. your problem is you believe everything youve previously learned to be truth, and orent open to any other opinions.