The intricacies of drug laws, do they work? And who's at fault? | Teen Ink

The intricacies of drug laws, do they work? And who's at fault?

By JhoRCan BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
JhoRCan BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut

107,543 is the number of deaths in the United States caused by overdose, according to a study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This number is far more than just a statistic; it represents mothers, fathers, sisters, and brothers but more importantly--human beings whose lives were tragically cut short by an ongoing and worsening crisis.. This alarming statistic raises the question of the effectiveness of our current drug laws and the United States effort to make change. With decades of policing pointed toward curbing drug abuse, this attempt has not only failed, but actually seems to have worsened the problem. Moreover, harsh drug laws and sentencing have filled our prisons with low level nonviolent offenders occupying space that could be used to imprison suppliers, dealers, and manufacturers. With this in mind, drug laws are clearly not as effective as they could be but, who is to blame?

Who is to blame? Many point fingers at the drug users, viewing them as low level beings who are the root of the crisis. However, not only is this view depicting a false narrative, but is also misguiding. Carl Hart, an American Psychologist and Neuroscientist stated in a Ted talk, “Today I no longer want to eradicate or eliminate drugs from our society, It would be naive to do so. Don't get me wrong I still want to help people who have a drug problem but more importantly I want to help keep safe recreational users who don't have a problem safe because they make up a vast majority of drug users. What I now know is that the drugs themselves are not the problem. The real problems are poverty and unemployment, selective law enforcement ignorance and the dismissal of science surrounding the drugs.” Hart’s statement highlights the harsh truth about who is really to blame. 

Rather than pointing fingers at those suffering from drug problems, our focus should be set on the systematic issues and the suppliers funded by our very own government, pharmacies. For example pharmaceutical companies have played a key role in the opiate abuse crisis through pushing false narratives, engaging in misleading marketing, and making claims about the safety of prescription pills while often downplaying the risks of addiction and abuse of opiates. Ultimately, this misleading information leaves out the price of each pill and when these prescription medications get harder to obtain, many turn to the easier and cheaper option, drugs like heroin and fentanyl. Yet, these companies often avoid accountability leaving individuals alongside their families to bear the short end of the stick.

Moreover, our government assisted programs such as our healthcare systems fail to provide the necessary treatments or rehabilitation programs for individuals with a drug problem. This lack of inadequate resources causes many to turn to the spoon, resulting in many struggling to get clean. Rather than criminalizing these individuals who are just looking for support, we could shift our approach of combating the drug crisis. First,we could look at and workshop drug laws and prioritizing treatment over incarceration rates which could lead to significantly lower overdose rates and help individuals regain their feeling of hope. Lastly, we need to address the role of suppliers. This responsibility includes not just illegal suppliers or dealers, but also major pharmaceutical companies. If these companies are held accountable for their contributions to the crisis, we can develop strategies and solutions to prevent individuals from becoming addicted. The drug crisis is more than just users using, and dealers dealing with no simple or certain solution. However, by addressing systemic issues, focusing on education and treatment, we can take small steps to ensure that no one else becomes part of the yearly drug overdose statistics reported by the CDC. The 107,543 individuals who lost their lives in 2023 are more than numbers; they should serve as an incentive to drive change.

Works consulted

Hart, Carl. “Let's quit abusing drug users.” YouTube, Tamron Hall, 19 May 2015, youtube.com/watch?v=C9HMifCoSko. Accessed 19 May 2024.

“U.S. Overdose Deaths Decrease in 2023, First Time Since 2018.” Wikipedia, National Center for Health Statistics, cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/nchs_press_releases/2024/20240515.htm. Accessed 19 May 2024.