End Vaping In Teens | Teen Ink

End Vaping In Teens

May 18, 2021
By Anonymous

I think the FDA should regulate E-cigarettes and even tobacco. It is the number one leading cause of death that is preventable in the united states. The FDA finalized a rule in 2009 that passed the regulation of tobacco products. It has been proven by multiple studies around the United States that Vapes and E-cigarettes are more likely to harm you and become more addictive than tobacco. It has also been proven that E-cigarettes do not actually help you quit smoking. They become twice if not four times more addictive because of the amount of nicotine and harmful substances in the vape. In August 8, 2018 the FDA mandated E-cigarettes to be regulated as if they were tobacco products. This law went on to hurt a ton of big marketing companies that aimed their product at kids under 18 such as JUUL and NJOY. The result of this has not only been the companies marketing towards 18 year olds but schools have had a stricter rule about vaping and smoking anywhere near school grounds. In early 2019, a study was done on the United States showing how many states and areas had put regulations on vaping and stricter ones on smoking. More than 40 US states now have a ban within their state against vaping in some areas. In early 2016 a study was also done to state that vaping should also be banned indoors because the effects on bystanders from the chemicals and aerosol is greater than that of second hand smoking. Many local and state jurisdictions have put laws in place to ban vaping wherever smoking is banned. But many bars, restaurants, and public places will still allow vaping indoors even if smoking is banned. There are very few states that actually have statewide ban policies in place for vaping of cigarettes. I think vaping should be banned because it gives the new generation an excuse when it comes to being addicted. Coming from a 16 year old, the excuses I've heard always start with “well it gets rid of the stress and helps me focus” or things along the lines of “why does it matter?” These are things people addicted to heroin or cocaine say. So is vaping much better? Besides the fact that they hurt your body inside like your lungs and stomach, these vapes have actually been known to explode on people causing them serious burns and even hospitalization for long amounts of time. A teenage boy was vaping in his bedroom one night and he set the vape in his chest and it exploded. It caused him third degree burns everywhere and he was in agony. I think it also should be banned because it gives teenagers and even adults an excuse. Hearing “i’m too stressed to do my homework, I need a vape” or “my anxiety is too high for this I need nicotine” is saddening because you realize how addicted people are. But it also can be a wake up call for us and realize that vaping is not any better than normal cigarettes and more addictive than cocaine. In the long run, vaping should be banned because it not only ruins people's lives by eating up their realities and money, but it also does more harm to them than they will ever know or want to realize. 


The author's comments:

I wrote this to shed light of the effects of vaping and how it changes teen health and behavior