Pussy Grabs Back | Teen Ink

Pussy Grabs Back

By HenriksenM SILVER, Tirana, Other
HenriksenM SILVER, Tirana, Other

The women’s march stood up for all the things that were so close at reach before Donald Trump became president. We, as a society, had been moving forward and getting the resources we needed at hand when Obama was president and Hillary Clinton was running for president we had the hopes of advances in affordable birth control, reproductive rights and equal paychecks. Donald Trump is seen as an anti-feminist, as he is known for rude comments about women, once saying that you should “grab her by the pussy”. He also talks about taking away fundamental reproductive rights for women. These acts show that he is a threat towards the female population and the feminist movement.

At the Women’s March, most of the people were wearing pink, knitted hats. This idea was started by the Pussyhat Project and created a visual statement that helped the protesters voices come through. They represent a woman’s right, their bold pink color, and cat shape made it very clear which gender they were representing. They helped unify the marchers and identify them and their message. These hats also represented the people who couldn’t physically be at the march, so instead, they created a hat and sent it to someone who could.

The march was a huge success, “In the US, nearly 3.5 million people marched” (The Guardian), many celebrities came to make the influence they could. Madonna, Emma Watson, Kristen Stewart and Amy Schumer were only some of the famous women spotted at the march. The actress America Ferrera was also there and made an incredible speech, in the speech she says “The president is not America”. She mentions as well how this march is not only for women’s rights but also for immigrants, Muslims, black people and the people of the LGBTQ community.

Donald Trump has many plans for America since he came to the office, plans such as banning abortions, stop funding Planned Parenthood and to remove Obamacare. These acts will have serious effects on the population. Obamacare is affordable healthcare that many American citizens have If Obamacare were to be removed, that away will cost many people their lives. The women’s march targetted Trump and protested against all his plans, they got the message across. They have established that they are not with Trump and that they will fight for their rights in the next 4 years.

The reason for the march was for equality between men and women, simple things such as equal paychecks.The message behind the march is that “Women’s rights are human rights”. Then march also united women from all over the world, with different backgrounds and classes together for one thing, and that was feminism. Other things the march stood up for were the LGBTQ, immigrant rights, freedom from sexual violence and removing any gender or racial inequalities away from the criminal justice system. The women of this world have a long way to go, this march has definitely influenced female rights, and will be an important day in history.