Did Obama Inherit The Country's Problems? | Teen Ink

Did Obama Inherit The Country's Problems?

By boklenhle GOLD, North Platte, Nebraska
boklenhle GOLD, North Platte, Nebraska

Our scars tell us where we have been, but do not have to dictate where we are going.

This is a question constantly debated on, but the fact of it is: It's just a matter of opinion. In my opinion, it’s a little of both. He inherited some, but made a lot of it worse. I don’t blame Bush entirely, and I don’t blame Obama entirely. But, let’s look at the facts.
When President George W. Bush took office, the national debt was $5.768 trillion. By the time he left office, the national debt was $10.626 trillion (npr.org). The debt increased $4.858 trillion. That seems startling, doesn’t it?
Now let’s look at Obama. When president Obama took office, in January 2009, the national debt was at $10.6 trillion; as of October 29, 2013, the national debt was $17.086 trillion. The debt grew by $6.486 trillion. That’s an increase of 61.18%. Not to mention the debt is rising by an average of $2.59 billion per day, since September 30, 2012 .
Didn’t he say that by the end of his first term, he would have the deficit cut in half? Don’t give me the whole, “you can’t make changes without spending any money.” I know that. He said, by the end of his first term it would be cut in half, that doesn’t mean he couldn’t spend any money. It means, we look at the outcome of his first term, and by these numbers, I’m sure you can already tell it wasn’t cut in half.
So, during the Obama presidency, the national debt has rose an average of $1.116 trillion a year more than it rose under Bush, who supposedly caused all the problems in the first place. So, Obama wins worst national debt.
Now, let’s look at unemployment. During the majority of Bush’s presidency unemployment stayed around five and six percent (bls.gov). In Obama’s presidency, unemployment has varied, but for the most part, hovered around eight or nine percent (bls.gov). As of September, 2013, it was at 7.2%. At the end of Bush’s presidency it was at 5%. So Obama wins worst unemployment, too .
Now, everyone says, “Bush started all of these wars.” Bush started two wars, Iraq and Afghanistan. So far, Obama has started three wars; Libya, Yemen, and Uganda. He’s also kept Bush’s two wars going . Great job, Obama, you also win worst war count.
So, now you have the facts. The rise of the national debt under Obama was almost double of what it rose under Bush. Obama’s unemployment rates were far worse than Bush’s ever were. Obama started more wars than Bush, and never ended the ones Bush started.
Now, it’s your decision. Who was the worst president? Did Obama inherit the countries problems? In my opinion, Obama was the worst, and he inherit some problems, but created many more of his own. That’s my opinion, what’s yours?

boklenhle GOLD said...
boklenhle GOLD, North Platte, Nebraska

I couldn't agree more.

boklenhle GOLD said...
boklenhle GOLD, North Platte, Nebraska

I couldn't agree more.

southcarolinacountryboy BRONZE, Easley, South Carolina

Life's a Garden, Dig it.

I have no idea what the US was thinking when we voted Obama for president.