:: Illegal immigrant I.D. Cards:: | Teen Ink

:: Illegal immigrant I.D. Cards::

July 23, 2009
By islandlakatu SILVER, New London, Connecticut
islandlakatu SILVER, New London, Connecticut
5 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Put yourself in a illegal immigrants shoes; Imagine you just came to America illegally just to escape the life you lived and maybe your running away from danger or from dictating countries and you have no where to go but to the country of hope and freedom! Now, come back to earth; did you like the life you lived? Is there an actual reason why you want to come to America? Off course you didn’t like it because that is one crazy life to live you doesn’t want to be controlled and you don’t want to be scared anymore. Many people come to America to seek help and fortune; if we actually stopped caring about ourselves and looked beyond that we can really be able to help these people. Illegal immigrant I.D. cards will help us in so many ways. We still have the power and we will basically control who comes into our states: we will have written documents of who is in our states illegally and we will have the power to control the population of our immigrants so these people will not abuse our generous offer, these illegal immigrant I.D.’s will also help these people get along better with our government and our police force, another reason is the reputation and comments we will be receiving from other countries, we will not be known for being insatiable for power and cash, and it will also give them the reason to trust us and look at us as the greatest and friendliest country; also, we have to understand the true meaning of America and the most important statue in our country, “Statue of Liberty”. So after reading a great article from C.E.; I have came to the thought that we should help illegal immigrants and give them the I.D.’s to be able to have access to any public places.


As we all know there are written documents about any and everything it isn’t a surprise if we have written documents about when an eclipse is present. To keep our government intact we use documents to state information so if we could do that; we could do as well for illegal immigrants. Giving them these cards will help put them in log books and we’ll have better understandings of the population and statistics of illegal immigrants all together here in our country. People argue that if we give these immigrants the cards; other immigrants from other states will come to our city/town and try to get one too, but, I say if we gave them the cards we can take it right back. I’m not saying we should give the cards just because it’s being nice I’m saying we give them the cards if they earn it. Many immigrants here in the U.S. already basically make sure businesses are functioning and if there U.S. workers regardless of weather there illegal or not there still helping us in a way; so who the hell are we to tell them to get out after working so hard for our country and for our businesses? These documents that there names will be written on will basically help us control the population of our town and of immigrants, so again there is no problem.

These cards will also give a reason for these immigrants to be government friendly and work with the government on bettering things in the U.S. These cards will also lessen crimes in our country and it will give immigrants access to any public services such as banks, public libraries, and much more. Immigrants carry a lump of cash on them because they have no access to banks; giving them these cards will help them get these services, meaning they won’t be the target of getting robbed and causing more problems for our police force. Smuggling drugs is one big controversial topic, helping these people out by giving them these cards will give them a better reason not to smuggle or not to do anything bad in our country. That is why I think giving the cards to illegal immigrants can and will help our governments and police force much easily.

Many outside people think Americans are very stingy and they think we crave too much for power and money, and that’s all we want. They look at us as being very unfriendly and selfish. Helping immigrants can give us a much better reputation as being helpful and friendly to outside people. It has been a argument that we worry so much about ourselves that we don’t have time to help other countries. Were trying to form alliances and friends with other nations and by helping these illegal immigrants we can have that reputation as being friendly and other countries will try to pitch in and help and will form a good friendship with our country. We need to stop this selfish act and for once help someone other than ourselves. You may be saying these people don’t do anything for me, why should I help? The reason why you should help is because these are people in need of help and we need to offer as much as we can to help them. So, to my opinion I believe giving out these cards will better our reputation and give other countries reason to be much kinder to us.

After reading the article from C.E. the first thing that crossed my mind was the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Do you remember why that statue was built and the true meaning of it? We’re the country of freedom and hope. We’re the country that accepts anyone. Do you remember the poem by Emma Lazarus? That poem gave the true meaning of the Statue of Liberty,

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,










With conquering limbs astride from land to land;






Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand








A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame











Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name









Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand










Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command






The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.








"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she






With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,








Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,









The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.







Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,










I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
This gives all the reasons why we should accept these people into our communities; were the great nation of hope and freedom if it was okay back in the early 1900’s why is it so bad for us now? Because of terrorists? We as a country should stand tall and proud and state that we shall not fall to anything. We are a powerful country and many other countries look to us for help. Let’s start with the cards and really live up to the name as the country of HOPE AND FREEDOM! We shall not fall and we shall not corrupt; we will stand tall and make sure our voice will be heard. We will help the fallen and if there not accepted where they live we should atleast accept them as people.
So I have come to the true conclusion. I believe we should and it is right as Americans that we help these illegal immigrants by giving them the cards. Again think about it; we will better our governments and police force, we will still have control; and have everything written in documents. We gave them the cards so why not take it back? It is not to late to come to a conclusion but I suggest you think about it real good before coming to that final thought. This will help our reputation and that is great for our country after failing to stay friends with outside countries. So the time has come is it time for us to shut out the immigrants or should we help them for once and actually be friendly and welcome them into our country with a friendly hug. Pick and choose the right and correct decision.
Thank You!

The author's comments:
I read an article with my teacher from C.E. and I discovered that in New Haven, CT there was a controversial thing that really stirred up my emotions. They want to know if I.D.'s for immigrants are a good idea and if you read this article you can tell I was upset and I was overwhlemed! THANK YOu!