My experience in the Pakistan 2024 general election | Teen Ink

My experience in the Pakistan 2024 general election

By smib77 BRONZE, Lahore, Other
smib77 BRONZE, Lahore, Other

February 8th marked the date for the pakistan general election to occur. This wasn't just a regular election for me as my own father was contesting in the election from our ancestral home in Jhang. As his only son I was obligated to help him in his mission and do whatever I could to help. 

The campaign was tough with long hours and sleepless nights. Sometimes lunch was eaten in the car while going from one place to the other, but seeing the response of the people it was all worth it. Everywhere we used to go we were greeted with smiles and rainfalls of rose petals from people all happy to see someone standing up for their rights. Everyone from kids to older citizens all helped us through the journey. 

On one occasion a small boy came running to me with a small flower in his hand. With a smile on his face he handed it to me and bolted off. I remember looking at the flower and thinking that all my efforts aren't going to waste but I am here standing up for a good cause. Due to me not being a legal adult I wasn't able to vote but did everything else in my power to assist my father.

As the 8th rolled around my anxiety grew and grew. The night before the election everyone on social media expressed their support to my father and I wishing us good luck for the big day tomorrow.

Due to security reasons, mobile service and Wifi was down nationwide. This helped my stress reach heights it had never seen before. My family was all at the polling station casting their vote and helping others do the same while my sister, cousin and I stayed home. Seconds started feeling like hours as we eagerly waited for good news to come. At night results from hundreds of polling stations started flying in all showing my dad winning. I was frenzied but kept telling myself to wait for the final announcement. 

On the afternoon of the 9th it was finally announced that my father had won the election. I went with him to get his official paper and was met with all our supporters cheering us on. The day still plays like a video in my mind when I recall the excitement of everyone with the huge parade of cars that followed. It was all an unforgettable experience and something I would wish to live again.

My names Ibrahim, a 17 year old from Lahore Pakistan trying his best to play a role in helping his community.