Toxicity in Candy | Teen Ink

Toxicity in Candy

April 16, 2023
By yunateenink SILVER, Yorba Linda, California
yunateenink SILVER, Yorba Linda, California
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you walk halfway up the mountain, you'll never see the view."


In hopes of minimizing unhealthy and dangerous chemicals, some U.S. states have been banning childhood sweets like Skittles, Sour Patch Kids, and Peeps marshmallows. They contain chemicals that have been found to be linked with causing cancer and organ damage! To illustrate, red dye No. 3 in candies has caused a stir among scientists who associated this chemical with thyroid cancer! This dye is also used in makeup. The scientists came up with this idea from their research on animals. Although not scientifically proven for humans, the fear of diseases and health problems has concerned many consumers. This certain dye has also been connected to causing children to be hyperactive and form other behavior problems. If the companies of these products do not change their recipe with better and safer ingredients, these items will disappear from stores when the law passes. 

Titanium dioxide – a chemical used to give color in candies like Skittles and Hot Tamales – works side by side with erythrosine – another chemical used for color and found in Red Dye No.3 – to give candies that captivating and fun color. Despite this distraction, the color does not hide the toxicity and must be stopped. This chemical does not only stop at candies but also extends to Campbell's soup, tortillas, sodas, and more. The goal of this law is to not ban the candy, but to ban the chemical. The companies in Europe have already banned these chemicals but still sell these brands because they altered the ingredients. 

When asked about her opinion on this topic, Kaylyn Kim, a junior at Sunny Hills High School, is shocked with the amount of toxicity in products but remembers “that these studies never seem to be certain, and [she doesn’t] believe that simply consuming this ingredient once in a while would be harmful.” Kaylyn adds that she would be more concerned if toxic chemicals were to be found in everyday items such as lotions. Additionally, Jennie Jeong, a sophomore at Sunny Hills High School, feels that companies should do a better job at providing the safest ingredients for their consumers. Jennie continues that the true nature of these companies’ ingredients and news of this health violation should be spread to prevent accidents. 

With Easter right around the corner, there are Peeps marshmallows everywhere on the shelves. Hopefully, individuals will learn about the chemical risks and wait until these companies change their toxic ingredients to safer alternatives. 


The author's comments:

I love skittles and other candies that are affected by this news! Because of this, I want to spread more awareness about the true nature of these delicious treats.