What The United States Flag Stands For | Teen Ink

What The United States Flag Stands For

By Legend123 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Legend123 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

The snapping of the red, white and blue flag on a windy day. Hanging proudly above most houses and every school. I had to ask myself, why? Why the iconic red, white and blue?

The red tinted water on June 6th, 1944. The bloodshed that was taken to fight for what we believed in. That’s what the red is for. The valor of Americans, making them true heroes. The United States flags red representing the strength of those who have made it out of war, and even the ones who have fallen.

The blue in the flag stands for vigilance. Reminding all of us to remain watchful. Telling us that no matter how perfect our world and country may seem, there are things that can go wrong. Turning on the news and seeing some sort of horrifying news reminds me personally of this everyday. Knowing that our country is the safest possible, but taking into consideration there is always a chance. Being vigilant. That's what the blue stands for.

The white standing for purity. Fighting for what we believe in and not giving into what others beliefs are. Like a teenager being peer pressured into doing something their morals go against. Watching as those become a person who is everything but themselves. The white stays white as long as it stays pure.

In The United States flag, it is joined by the colors red, white and blue. All of these colors sewed together to be hung up proudly. From valor soldiers to vigilance of civilians and purity of beliefs. The colors wave and stand strong. Showing pure patriotism.

What The United States flag means to me