Should Parents Be Held Accountable for School Shootings? | Teen Ink

Should Parents Be Held Accountable for School Shootings?

February 2, 2022
By Anonymous

Should parents be held responsible for school shootings? Well it definitely does depend on the situation. I think that parents should be held responsible for their child's behavior when it comes to things that can lead to other people being in danger. If a child gets a gun and shoots up a school then it is 100% the parents fault because where else would the minor get a gun from. Regardless if they somehow bought the gun or found it somewhere in their house it is still considered the parents fault because they need to keep a better eye on their own child . Even if they suspect the slightest thing off about their child they should look deeper and investigate a little bit. No parent would wanna get themselves and their children in trouble for something as dangerous as a school shooting. For example the recent tragedy that occurred at Oxford High School that killed 3 and injured 7 students. The parents of the 15 year old, Ethan Crumbley, the shooter, Jennifer and James Crumbley are each facing four counts of involuntary manslaughter. They were accused of giving their son Ethan Crumbley easy access to the gun. The parents in this case were completely irresponsible.  Instead of turning themselves in, hid in a factory until they were found and ended up getting charged with what was said previously. If you have possession of a weapon that can seriously injure or even kill someone, at least keep it out of your child’s way so that they don’t get their hands on it and cause a serious problem. Mike Bouchard from the Oakland County Police stated that the father actually bought the gun four days before the incident occured.  According to the Detroit Free Press article,recently it was declared that a 4th victim had died due to his injuries at 10 am in the first week of December. Of those injured, the 47-year-old teacher with a grazing bullet wound had been discharged, while the children ages ranging in 14 - 17 years old were in conditions from stable to critical, with injuries to extremities, chests, necks and heads. One 14-year-old girl was on a ventilator Tuesday night. It really is tragic how quick everything in this situation occurred. It truly is  sad to understand how upset the parents would have been getting a call from the school that their daughter or son was shot or fatally injured due to a boy close to their age who shot up their school. 

Although it is unintentional when a school shooting can occur there should be precautions made in all schools to prevent something tragic like this to happen.  Schools should have very high quality security systems to prevent such a weapon from entering the campus. For example, metal detectors or special machines that can check if a weapon is being carried in a student's backpack. 

It's very heart breaking and tragic that these are real life situations that take place at any time and anywhere. Schools need to be in the safe zone because something like this can happen at any moment. 


The author's comments:

This piece is trying to relay the message that parents. should keep an eye on their kids.