Why Korea should not forgive Japan for their past war crimes? | Teen Ink

Why Korea should not forgive Japan for their past war crimes?

By rynasung SILVER, Canaan, New Hampshire
rynasung SILVER, Canaan, New Hampshire

The Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, had been criticized with his opinions, and especially with his word choices. The following took place in an interview about Korean comfort women during the Japanese empires and Abe stated that he felt heartbroken whenever he heard about victims of human trafficking. According to a Korean reporter, Abe cunningly used the term, human trafficking while not clarifing the offender which made him look like trying to gloss over the past. Since the tragedies happened in the past, many prefer to go over with it, however, it's necessary to take this seriously and claim apologies from Japan.

Although the gravity of the war crimes that Japan is responsible for is worthy of attention, the ridiculous current actions of Japan is the cause of the arguments of not forgiving and requiring apologies. It is quite known that the education that Japan provides to their young generations is invalid. This includes the histories, facts, and geological information that were false. Also, how the Japanese government tries to conceal and go over with the war crimes, and how they try not to take responsibility rages the Korean citizens and result in various boycotts. The Hashima Island could be an evidence of the current actions of the Japanese government to their past war crimes. Hashima Island is a relatively small island in Nagasaki and currently abandoned. Since it looked like historical evidence it attracted tourists which was later confirmed as an UNESCO world heritage site. The island looked like a battleship and was crowded with debris of mining facilities and buildings. Unlike its appearance of Japanese industrial development, Hashima Island was a forced labor facility where hundreds of innocent Korean men were forced to work at the island. The unbearable painstaking history of the island is heartbreaking, but how Japan confirmed it as a world heritage is more ridiculous and irritable which is why Korea should not forgive Japan and require apologies rather than just going over the past. 

There should be a unanimous opinion of Korea not forgiving Japan for their war crimes. The tragic history was already painful, but the actions that were taken by Japan such as making a world heritage site out of Korea’s painful history is such an insult to Korea. This is the exact reason why it is impossible to forgive Japan for their war crimes while Korea is the one who Japan needs to apologize.