Insecure | Teen Ink

Insecure

March 5, 2009
By Tamberly Donato BRONZE, El Cajon, California
Tamberly Donato BRONZE, El Cajon, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As I looked into my mirror, I used to shut off the light in the bathroom because I thought I looked better without the bright light that brought out my flaws. If your like me it's a daily struggle to keep my head above the waves of insecurities. I constantly wonder, is there a cure for being insecure?
I'm not pretty enough, my hair isn't straight enough, my make up looks bad, im fat, she's prettier than me. These are all things that women struggle with each day in the jungle known as society. Women tend to be more insecure than men. Society doesn't help, like in movies the prettier girl is more likely to be chosen for something rather than the less prettier one. The commercials everywhere of very provocative women. The movies which just have to add the woman who's barley wearing anything. It's no wonder why women are so competitive with each other. Women can often be very hateful towards each other because one is jealous of the other. On the other hand, men seem to have no problem with what society does so it will probably continue for time to come.
For those who aren't insecure and are able to be confident, that's great. That's a strength that many of us women wish we had. As for wondering if insecurities can be helped, yes they can. It simply takes a lot of inner strength, determination, positive attitude and self appreciation. Whenever you see someone walk past you that you think is better or prettier than you, try to find the things that make you different and more unique. Instead of letting the person bring you down by thinking of the things they have that you don't, simply think of what you have. Put yourself on a higher peta-stool. But don't get that confused with selfishness, self- loving and selfish are different. Put yourself on a peta-stool for you not for anyone else. Once you learn to love yourself the rest will fall into place and then when you see someone walking by or on t.v or in a movie, they will no longer intimidate you, but it will make you laugh at the idea that you used to be intimidated.
I believe that if we apply that to our everyday life then we can be happier inside and out. I know that it takes effort and determination but anyone can do it.