Sociopaths in society | Teen Ink

Sociopaths in society

By Misty Zimmerman BRONZE, Grantville, Pennsylvania
Misty Zimmerman BRONZE, Grantville, Pennsylvania

Sociopaths in society

Have you ever been called cold-hearted? Or maybe dealt with someone who you felt was? Better yet, have you ever just thought ‘this person is completely and utterly sociopathic’? I know that I’ve been called both cold-hearted and sociopathic because of my lack of empathy and cold logic, yet my friends would probably all agree that I’m only a danger to those who attack me, or someone I care for, first.

When people think of sociopaths they often think of murderers, kidnappers, or heartless monsters on crimes shows; they think of people who cannot function in everyday life. This is untrue for many people diagnosed as sociopathic can survive in society like any other human being if they keep themselves in check. Some can even find a way to use the attributes that come with being a sociopath to their advantage in their careers, such as superficial charm and shallow emotions. Sociopathy is a form of anti-personality disorder and can be managed if an effort is made.

One reason people tend to fear, misunderstand, or stereotype sociopaths is that they confuse them with psychopaths. Yet, there are distinct differences between the two that separates them from one another in how they act in society. Unlike psychopaths, sociopaths have a lot more control over their actions which makes them able to make sounder decisions. Sociopaths also have a complete understanding of how to behave in society, while psychopaths are more often than not unable to cope with social norms because of their impulsive nature. A perfect example is the fictional character Sherlock Holmes who’s almost always portrayed as a sociopath, especially in shows today, though some mistake him for a psychopath. Yet, psychopaths usually do not have control over their temperamental issues since they are born with them, while sociopaths tend not to be very temperamental at all. The main thing that people tend to mistake between the two is that psychopaths have no ethics and feel no remorse, but sociopaths do, however it’s limited to a certain group of people.

There’s a book written by someone named M.D. Thomas who was diagnosed as a sociopath, Confessions of a Sociopath: A Life Spent Hiding in Plain Sight and it tells that while sociopaths are dangerous they are not inherently evil. Thomas reveals the truths and facts about different aspects of being a sociopath dispelling and proving different ideas that people have, like “…sociopathy is basically synonymous with evil.” She states things flat out whether it it’s good or bad. She never tries to sugar coat facts to make them seem better than they are, just words that give a better understanding of people that so many others write off as hopeless or malicious.

Sociopaths tend to be a product of their raise or are created because of the environment they grew up in. Often they are made from negative social environment, parental neglect, delinquent peers, or extremely high or low IQ’s. They are not born; they are created. And since they are not born this way who’s to say they cannot change, there is not enough research in existence to say it is impossible. People can change, it’s a well- known fact and while it may be hard to it’s not unheard of. People who have been sent to prison have changed their lives around and so have people that may have been in a gang as a teen. It’s never too late to look for a new path, so why not give sociopath the benefit of the doubt as well.
Sociopaths can manage their lives normally, though not all do. Some become killers, some hurt others and some just cannot fit into society. It can be difficult for sociopaths to hold jobs sometimes because of their tendency to try and manipulate others and sometimes because of their lack of emotional connection with others. Sociopathic killers are often the hardest to find since being a sociopath makes them meticulous planners, have incredible control, and rarely feel remorse. They are dangerous with their ability to comprehend human emotions, but lack of feeling them. This gives them the ability to manipulate others emotions and not be held back by their own and they also will not be influenced by their emotions which means each decision will be logical and beneficial to themselves. Now that is not to say that all or even most will act this way.

Sociopaths can coexist with everyday people in everyday society and learn to fit into social norms. They may not be normal and may come off as cold, but it doesn’t mean they are evil or future killers. There are many people that are not sociopaths that seem cold or disconnected from others, and some of those people make the best lawyers, doctors, businessmen, and scientists. I mean even Ben Franklin had sociopathic tendencies, though he was never diagnosed and it was never proven as a fact. But he was charming, promiscuous, and had disruptive relationships leading him to be single, all signs of a sociopath. Sociopaths can integrate because of this, sometimes being less emotional leads to better, smarter decisions. Being different shouldn’t equal being unwanted. If they are willing and able to adapt and live in society they should be allowed to. Sociopaths can be dangerous, but they do not have to be and that right there is reason enough to give them a chance.