The Eyes of a Whimpering Puppy | Teen Ink

The Eyes of a Whimpering Puppy

January 8, 2014
By EvieBreezy BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
EvieBreezy BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Abuse.

You’re helpless. You’re innocent. You’re trying your best but it’s not enough. You’re kicked. You’re beaten. You’re starved. Does anyone even care? Can no one hear your cry for help?

Abuse towards humans is unacceptable. In that case, shouldn’t the moot subject of animal abuse be acknowledged in our daily lives too? People say that animals have smaller brains, so it’s okay to take advantage of them. But can you look into the eyes of a whimpering puppy and tell me that he’s fine, that he’s not suffering?

I didn’t think so.

My dog didn’t always have a good life. He didn’t always have a home to live in. He didn’t always have a family to love him. He used to live in Texas, hot and muggy, all he wanted was fresh air and a place to run and play.
But he couldn’t.
His family didn’t have a home, so he was stuck in a car for days on end. And to make matters worse: he was deaf. Constantly his family would scream at him to do things and he wouldn’t listen- simply because he couldn’t.
And when he wasn’t obedient, they beat him.

They beat him because of something he couldn’t help. He wanted to be a good dog, but he couldn’t please his owners. And those memories still scare him to death.
Now he cringes every time someone comes near him. Reasonable.
He attacks other dogs and people when they come near him. Understandable.

Fortunately he was adopted into a safe home. His story has a happy ending. But so many other animals weren’t so lucky. For every dog or cat out there with a loving home and good food, there are an abundance of other cats and dogs who are suffering from the torture that their abusive owners put them through. Everyday these animals go through horrors and have a life filled with death and despair. These animals deserve more. Animals shouldn’t be starved so much that their ribs jut out of their frail body. These animals shouldn’t be beaten so much that they can’t look at another human the same way again. These animals deserve love just as much as anybody else does.

It has been estimated that there are 900 to 2,000 new cases every year of animal hoarding in the US. A quarter of a million animals have fallen victim of this. These animals are kept in harsh conditions, usually not getting enough food or attention. There was a lady who hoarded cats and some of them were found dead behind couches and under rugs. And the worst part is she wasn’t the one who found them or bothered to see where they went or check out that horrid smell- it wasn’t until people came to her house to help her with her problems that these poor animals were found.

This is only one of many cases of animal hoarding. People believe that they are helping these animals. But it’s only killing them.

Animal hoarding is only one cause of animal abuse.
Over 100 million animals – mice, rats, dogs, cats, rabbits, monkeys, birds, among others – have been killed in U.S. laboratories for chemical, drug, food, and cosmetics testing every year

I talked to a former employee at an animal emergency clinic outside of the urban Washington DC area, Lisa Lambert, and she gave me many stories of first hand experiences with animals being abused. She said that the three main things she saw going on was drug abuse, crime and ignorance of the animal. And these things happened more often than you would think.

She told me a heart breaking story about a robbery that took place, and when the robber saw a dog in the home, a little white Westie, he immediately stabbed it, a knife being the only weapon he had. And when the owners found him and brought him in, with his white fur stained with blood, the vets noticed that all of the stabs were in the rear of him- meaning that he was trying to run away. The dog wasn't harming him in any way, yet he still stabbed him.

Later in the interview Lisa talked about a someone who ignored their sick pet and left them outside. "Why would people have pets if they don't want them? I just don't understand" she said. At this point in the interview she started crying. Why would someone have a pet if they weren't going to take care of it? Why bother putting them through that torture when they can be put in a good home and be happy? And she concluded the interview with, "people suck." And many of them do, the heartless people who harm these animals. But there are good people out there too, people willing to help.


What if there was a way to stop all of this cruelty?
What if there was a way to stop all of this abuse?
What if there was a way to give these animals a voice?
To show them that they matter.

You can donate as little as $5 or as much as $100 to PETA, an organization that helps animals all over the world that are in harsh conditions. This money can help animals being used in experiments, animals in entertainment, animals being made into food, animals used for clothing and so many more animal issues. You have the power to help these innocent animals.
And now it’s in your hands to save someones life.