Hell | Teen Ink

Hell

October 26, 2008
By artofthedeath PLATINUM, Dothan, Alabama
artofthedeath PLATINUM, Dothan, Alabama
23 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Our minds have played with the facts: twisted them, made stories of them, shaped them to out liking. Our facts now are myths, and stories plain fiction, our hearts running on what we want the world to be. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing either. Sometimes the truth doesn’t have to be everything we focus on, sometimes the truth is simply our motives deep under all of our fiction.

A story we have created is our picture of Hell. I know in your mind’s eye you’re seeing hot red flames lick up stone pillars, encasing the victims of eternal death in flaming torment. The devil is an ugly red demon with horns and a sharpened tail. A cartoon, fantasy in the least. This is such a humorous aspect of what humans have cultivated through the years of our evolution of ideas.

I would imagine hell to actually take this quite simple form:


Blackness so deep that black can’t describe it, much less words. You want to close your eyes, to escape, but then you realize you no longer posses a body to lock yourself up in. You are just a blackened sole now, nothing more. There are no confines to this space, only constant up and down, no walls. No barriers, so it seems. Darkness: it becomes all you think about. Falling, constantly, but you don’t feel the falling. You can feel neither hot nor cold, wind nor stillness. No feeling at all. Even falling doesn’t have a very unique feeling. Nothing is ever unique anymore.

Nothing is unique anymore, except the pain. Pain, sorrow, suffering, and regret. All other emotions no longer exist, for you have lost those from lack of use. There is no more hope, not more joy, no more love. Your memory has left you, only the feeling to greediness, and murderous glee haunt you like a ghost for all eternity. Pain is endless. It’s not a burning, not a numbness, not anything like pain you felt while in a flesh form. It’s a new type of pain, one that you have never felt. Tearing at your sorrow and regret, making you remember those sins you committed, forever dwelling. You can’t stream anymore, for you have no voice, no voice at all. No physical means. You can’t fight anymore, that privilege is no longer yours.

Lies of the world, living peoples’ mistakes whisper to you, tell you of what is happening, make you cringe in your mind’s eye. You want to scream loud enough for those of the living to hear your warning, but they never do. You must wait it complete isolation for all eternity, watching others come close to the same fate.

However, the soul changes in Hell: you regret, seek penance that it is too late for. In your pain you become good, but there is so turning back from this dark alley you were sent too. Only one person to this day remains evil in Hell, and that is the Devil himself.
He has many names: Lucifer, Satan, The Serpent, Devil, Angel of Death. Once, he was a beautiful angle called Lucifer, but he could have never been a real, devoted, almost perfect angel. He was beautiful, arrogant, though he was better than even God himself. Though God was his creator, and loved him dearly, Lucifer was not to be kept. He was sent to the confines of Hell, made especially for him. Through his pain though, he only grew thirsty for revenge. He found that his voice could in fact reach the hearts of the humans, and some say he beckoned the soles, told them to do wrong. Whispered with the singing birds, seeming innocent. God didn’t shut him off. Satan became his official name, and he was no longer beautiful. He was nothing but a thrashing sole in the darkness, searching for more to endure his fate forever. He has succeeded, but his arrogance never left him. He became cocky and proud, believing that he could destroy all good the God still seeks to create. Thus though, only God is powerful enough to do anything, and Satan is a fool in himself, the source of all evil today. God lets him serve as a test of our faith, love, devotion.
Of course, I might not be right either. Maybe Hell isn’t like that at all. Maybe it really is an expanse of flame and torture and heat. Maybe. Or, maybe Hell is the turn of the actually death of the sole. Maybe our punishment is actually not existing anymore, forever. That would be a true thing to be terrified of.
In the known truth, the evil will get their just fate. Though we can twist the truth into such stories, that doesn’t make the fact any less fact. And thus I say: do good, be good, and respect others as well as yourself.


The author's comments:
I am a Christian. I believe we only have so much like on earth. I love to write, I love this piece. It speaks to me, told me to write it down, told to to voice my opinion. Maybe this will help you voice yours.