Awareness Could Save You | Teen Ink

Awareness Could Save You

Awareness Could Save You

Many women are unaware of their own safety. The majority of females have a high risk factor of getting kidnapped, raped, killed or all of the above just because they are unaware of their surroundings and don’t know how to avoid the situation in the first place.

Let’s say one day you decide to go shopping because you’re low on groceries, you’re driving alone and you park your car. You get out and start walking towards the store entrance all the while not even thinking to check your surroundings. There is a guy standing at one of the entrances, smoking a cigarette. He is observing the parking lot and trying to look casual. He sees you and keeps his eyes on you. You don’t notice him as you go in and you come out about fifteen minutes later with groceries. You start walking towards your car and the man that was at the entrance earlier has stopped smoking and is now approaching you. He offers to help you with your groceries and you let him, thinking that he’s just being a nice guy, plus you think he’s kind of cute. You pass a couple of cars then all of a sudden you are pushed in between two parked cars. The man has dropped your groceries and shoves you into the car. You try to resist but it is no use. He then drives off with you in the back of his car scared to death, not knowing what is going to happen to you.

How could this situation have been avoided? If you are a woman who drives or goes anywhere alone, wears clothes that are revealing, doesn’t check your surroundings, is under the influence of drugs or alcohol and talks to people that you don’t know, then you’re running at a high risk. Most women who have been raped, killed, or kidnapped have been drunk, alone, poorly dressed, talked to a stranger, and/or didn’t check their surroundings.

Keep yourself safe by following your intuition and being more careful about your surroundings. Intuition is a thing that every person possesses. Intuition is a sense of something not physically visible. It’s sort of like an impression. Statistically, women tend to have greater intuition or respond to it more than men do. Intuition is that feeling you get about someone, even though you might not know them. There is just something about them that might feel off. If you get intuition, don’t just shrug it off. If something feels wrong or off about someone or something, then that is your intuition and you need to follow it. Just walk away or avoid that person. Intuition is what helps you stay safe. Intuition comes in a few different forms such as: discomfort, fear or any weird sensations.

Let’s take a look at that scenario again, except this time you’re acting smart. You’re in the car, still alone, you park your car, look at who/ what you are parked by. Everything looks fine so you get out of your car, and look at the store entrances. You see the man at the closest entrance smoking a cigarette. Even though he looks casual, something feels off. He looks at you and keeps watching you. You decide to go to the other entrance even though it’s further away. You come out about fifteen minutes later with groceries through the same door you came though earlier. You start going to your car and the man that was at the other entrance starts walking towards you. Because you are aware of your surroundings you notice him and start walking a little faster. You’re a couple feet from your car and you notice the man turn and go to a different car and get in. You make it to your car safely and drive home.

What was different this time? You checked your surroundings, made a smart decision to go through a different entrance based on your intuition and then continued to use your intuition by avoiding the first entrance on your way out of the store. Then you started walking faster when the man started walking towards you. If you looked at the second scenario without looking at the first, you might not think anything of it, but bring the first scenario into the picture and then you see what could potentially happen.

What if in the second scenario the man had caught up to you? What do you do? If he asks you if he can help you with your groceries, simply say, “No thank you.” If he persists then say, “I SAID NO!” with a loud voice and say it like you mean it. If he is simply a nice guy trying to help you then he’ll just think you’re a complete jerk and back off. It doesn’t matter what he thinks because chances are you’ll never see him again; however, if he really is a creeper then he will either back off and try to find an easier target or he might grab for you. If that happens, you put your hand out and say, “STOP!” with as much conviction as you did when you told him “No” the second time. Saying this will sort of stun the guy and surprise him, giving you time to either run or attack. Running would be the best option because the man is most likely stronger than you and could easily beat you in a fight. If attacking is necessary then the best places to aim for are the eyes, blinding him, and the groin, which is extremely painful. If a gun is pulled on you, as crazy as it might sound, the best thing to do is scream. It’s better to get shot right then and there, where you can get to a hospital and have a chance of living, rather than staying quiet while the man puts you in the car and drives off to who knows where. Once put into the car, the harder it will be for the police to find you; however, if you do end up in the car then you can’t give up hope, that’s the worst thing you can do. Most survivors of kidnappings and rapings have said that the one thing that they didn’t do was give up hope.

The best thing is just to try to avoid the situation completely. Lower your risk factor as low as you can. Try not to go places alone, don’t wear revealing clothes, don’t get under the influence of drugs or alcohol, don’t talk to strangers, and don’t give off signals that you want that kind of attention. An example is if a man whistles at you don’t look over and smile or something, instead ignore him, show him that you’re not easy bait. Late at night is the worst time to be out, if possible don’t be outside late at night, follow your intuition, and check your surroundings. All of these things can lower your risk factor immensely. The lower your risk factor, the safer you are.