Gun Control: My View | Teen Ink

Gun Control: My View

By DustinWC BRONZE, McCalla, Alabama
DustinWC BRONZE, McCalla, Alabama

Ever since these incidents, such as Newtown and the “Batman Shooting,” people have been talking about gun control. For a while it has been a background subject, with not much attention paid to it. When the Newtown massacre occurred, the subject became prime. Now with a moral foothold, radical pro-gun control supporters are rising up, trying to ban guns and set overboard regulations. This is not what we need, we need to enforce the laws we already have to secure our weapons. That said, there does need to be a middle-point everyone can agree on.

In the case of people blaming guns, such as the AR15, people are completely wrong. Everyone know the old saying “gun don’t kill people, people kill people.” This means anyone with the intent to kill, will kill. There is so much controversy against these weapons, when the weapons can be blamed for what they are used for. No one seems to have a clear sense of mind that they need to blame the criminal instead of the weapon, wither it be gun, knife, or cannon.

Arguments are raging about gun control, whish has already stopped the manufacturing of assault rifles. We will be moving to handguns soon, since most gang related activity and crimes use the standard glock, and that does not leave much for the general public. There is a problem with this method though, criminals who can not get guns legally, will always find a way to do so illegally, just like they do already, from the black market. The black market is not some sort of storefront you just walk into, it’s a global illegal trading system that is close to impossible to trace. So these criminals can run around with weapons with the intent to harm that normal citizens do not have access to, leaving them outgunned and defenseless.

A positive, agreeable change for gun control would be to set some basic ground rules. When someone walks into a gun shop, background checks must be taken, along with records of mental illness. Though it is required by law that this be done, and people say its foolproof already, there are plenty of loopholes easily taken, especially with stores with other merchandise than guns. A gun can be bought of the records and sold at a higher price that normal with no background check, and will be rung up as an expensive accessory or piece of clothing. There needs to be more check-ups on these locations to enforce these laws, even undercover inspections. Not only this, people need to be responsible and report these kinds of activity I known about. Gun shows are another big problem. At a gun show any plain joe can walk in, buy a gun, and walk out no questions asked, and this need to stop. There should be I.D.’s taken at the door, and gun serial numbers linked to the I.D. when someone leaves with a weapon.
Owners of guns need to better precautions themselves, storing weapons and ammunition in separate safe boxes in a semi-hidden or less traveled location in their home, especially if children are present in the environment. The young men who committed the crimes like at Aurora and Newtown have either been mentally ill, or their parents did not protect their gun properly and they could be gotten a hold of. Hefty fines should be laid down upon those who violate these precautions.
If both sides of this argument would just sit down as mature adults that we all know they should be, and came up with ideas to help everyone, it would be much more productive. As of now, these tragedies come and go, but the NRA does not and are winning this fight. The vice president want to come up with a settlement to help protect our children and the public. If these few pro gun control zealots do not swallow their pride and back down, nothing will be changed and criminals will still be running free however they want. The top four causes of death in America are health related, and the top cause of gun violence is poverty, so why not make a few simple changes together and actually help the country where it actually needs help?

I just want to get someone's attention that has a voice to change other's opinions.. Quit fighting about gun control, and fix it on a common ground.