Educator of the Year; Mr.Holland | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year; Mr.Holland

April 14, 2013
By JustThatGuy BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
JustThatGuy BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Get your head in the game!” If you are coached by Dane Holland, you hear this almost every day. Mr. Holland is the senior physics teacher at my school, Delaware Military Academy (DMA for short). DMA is an NJROTC based charter high school in Wilmington, DE. Our school takes great pride in everyone. We have three main goals to instill in the students; Scholarship, Leadership, and Citizenship; all of which Mr.Holland possesses. Next to being a physics teacher, he coaches soccer and volleyball. I have had the pleasure of playing on two teams for Mr.Holland this year; let me be the first one to tell you that he knows what he is doing! During soccer we were constantly conditioning day after day. Some days I felt like quitting. But after all the conditioning myself and my teammates realized it paid off when we were in so much better shape than our competition. Mr.Holland excels at everything he does especially just being an all-around great guy! He is extremely funny and can make anyone laugh, especially the students and faculty at DMA. He is very friendly and personable and I find him to be one the kindest guys I know.
I have never heard any complaints about how hard Mr. Holland’s tests are or anything of that matter. This is because his teaching skills go above and beyond the curriculum, and he reaches out to every student to help them excel. It is from my understanding and observation that he is always doing neat hands-on experiments and projects. Again, he is a funny guy, so he also likes to have a little fun with his classes. His way of teaching is completely different from all the other science teachers. Everything in his class is visual, and he finds ways to make everything in his class interactive to make you get up and move.
Changing gears a little bit, Mr.Holland is the best coach I have ever had (but don’t tell my dad that) and definitely knows what he is talking about. Not only does he know how to coach a team, but he actually plays with us. He also plays competitive volleyball and soccer on the side. It’s so much more fun when he plays with us because when he does play with us he is one of the best out there. His personality makes him such a likeable guy that it is hard not to like him as a coach. Mr.Holland definitely has that touch that so many other coaches fail to possess. If you aren’t the best kid out there on the field or the court, he can make you feel like you are because he gets to know you individually, and he can really boost your confidence.
As a person, I can’t think of anyone that can compare to his personality. His way of connecting with people is outstanding and he does it in a way no one else does. As I have said numerous times, he is a funny guy. He seems to be really good at the age group he teaches, probably because he has a son at that age and knows how they function. Another thing about him is if there are some kids messing around in school; he knows about it and gets right on the case.
Mr.Holland is clearly a great person in every aspect of life. His readiness and will to go after something are what seem to be unheard of in the modern era. He excels as a coach, teacher, and person. After reading my statements above, these are the reasons why I would nominate Mr.Holland for Educator of the Year.


The author's comments:
This is about one of the greatest guys I know.