Conscience is a More Powerful Motivator | Teen Ink

Conscience is a More Powerful Motivator

April 14, 2013
By Anonymous

Think of one of America’s biggest disaster, like the 9/11 attack. This tragic event was the result of Osama Bin Laden’s terrorist group. But they didn't do horrific acts for fame, money or power. Instead, they did it out of their conscience, or in other words, their belief and their religion. Conscience is a stronger motivator than fame money, or power.
One aspect of conscience is religion. Some religious people who strongly believed in their religion would kill non-believers just because that person didn't believe in their religion. Their conscience had made them do it. If religions did not exist, the 9/11 attack might have never happened. Money, fame, or power didn't influence those events. Religion can also motivate people to do good things. Most religions would strongly believe to help others. For example, after Hurricane Sandy, churches had made fundraising programs for the victims. Also, the Quakers, who believed in Christianity, believed that everyone was created equally, . As a result, they were the first group who condemned slavery. Religion has motivated many people, in good and bad ways.
Another aspect of conscience is doing what one thinks is correct. For instance, people like Harriet Tubman had helped slaves escape. She knew all the risks, but she still helped others escape slavery. Furthermore, she was also a spy for the Union and was the first woman to lead a military expedition. Another person who did what he though was right was Martin Luther King Jr. Martin Luther King Jr. had been motivated to speak out for African American’s freedom by his conscience. Furthermore, he had also received many death threats, but his conscience made him ignore those threats and continue speaking out. If he had been motivated to speak out for money, he would have immediately stopped if he received death threats. That’s the difference between conscience and money. If someone did something because of his or her conscience, it meant that he or she truly wanted to do it, but if that person did it for money, it doesn’t necessarily mean that they believed in what they were doing.
Following their conscience has also caused the United States of America to have so many immigrants. Many immigrants came to U.S.A. because of the freedoms that they were promised, such as the Freedom of Press, Freedom of Speech, and Freedom of Religion. They left their family, friends, and their homes just for a chance to come to U.S.A. for its freedoms. Some immigrants didn't even make it to the U.S.A. Those people risked everything just for a chance to live in America. Following your conscience is still a powerful motivator today, much more powerful than anything else.
Conscience is a much more powerful motivator then fame, money, or power. Some motivations may come from fame, money, and power, but conscience has motivated many more people.