Educator Of The Year Nomination: Mr. Burton | Teen Ink

Educator Of The Year Nomination: Mr. Burton

April 11, 2013
By Greer Hoefgen BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware
Greer Hoefgen BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever had a teacher that has touched your heart? A teacher that has made such an impact on your life that you will never forget them? Well I have one. His name is Mr. Burton. Mr. Burton was my 8th grade Bible teacher. His warm heart and happy manner made every day a good one. He’s funny, and smart, and cared for us as if we were his own children.

Mr. Burton was a happy man. He would always come to school with a smile, and never with a frown. I remember walking in to his class every day and giving him a big hug, which became our tradition. He always came to school ready to teach and work. He had a bubbly personality, which made the class fun. He loved to get us all involved with reading verses from the Bible, and doing little activities. He would try to call on people even if their hand wasn’t up. He was extremely passionate about the Bible, and about what he does. Aside from being a teacher, he was also a good person to go talk to. If you were having a rough day, he would invite you into his classroom to talk, and pray. Never would he leave you alone to fend for yourself. He was one of those people you can trust with your fears, and secrets. He was the one friend who would never turn you away. His happy, bright and wide smile would always help you along, through the hard times.

Mr. Burton didn’t just teach the Bible, he taught how to be closer to God. He was the most devout person I know. He would always start and end the class with prayer. Not one day went by that he didn’t read the Bible or pray. He brought me so much closer to the Lord by example, and how he lived. He was very humble, and if you made a mistake, he would forgive you that second. Mr. Burton was also a comic. His silly comments and constant teasing kept the room awake and happy. If we were tired, he would accuse us of staying out to late in Vegas. I almost fell over laughing so many times I can’t count. He would never hurt us however. His playful manner was so great, you couldn’t help but laugh. This was one of the reasons I loved Bible class.

He made a connection with every child and adult he encountered. His kindheartedness would never go unrecognized. He would make friends with you after twelve seconds of knowing you. He was very talkative, especially when it came to the Bible. He was always ready and willing to show you something in the Bible, and would keep you until he was certain he answered your question. He was very concerned about all of our spiritual lives. He wanted us all to live by the Word of God each and every day.

Mr. Burton is one of those people who will do anything to help you. He would never yell nor would he get anger. His warm and caring demeanor would help push you though. He never gave up on any of us, and only wanted us to succeed and cherish the Word of God. Even now as I’m a freshman in high school, I still remember all he has done for me, and appreciate it very much. If anyone deserves to be nominated for Educator of the Year, it’s my 8th grade Bible teacher, Mr. B.


The author's comments:
this is to nominate my 8th grade Bible teacher Mr. Burton.