Prejudice Politics... Oh Please | Teen Ink

Prejudice Politics... Oh Please

For the last 13 years since my birth, the United States of America has always had a President. Some excellent, others horrible however they have both had a strong impact on the way people live today and will live throughout history. The 2008 Presidential campaign concerns me. Without researching the facts and what the candidates stand for, we the people of America seemed to have already voted by seeing them in the media. America already has opinions based on race, color, sex and age. This shows that America is unfortunately a sexist, stereotypical and biased nation, especially when it comes to choosing our future leader.

Let’s take Senator Obama; a Democratic candidate. People see him and say “A black president, no way.” This shows such a bad side of America. Senator Clinton, another Democratic candidate. Mostly men see her for her gender and delete her from the race. I say stop choosing white, protestant, males for our President; they haven’t been doing much good lately. I want a new perspective and a real change for the new President of the United States of America.

Senator Obama, a man that stands for the rights of people. A man that believes in the well being of this country. But he’s black, so apparently he can’t be president. Why must we enforce this fact so much
that people call him the black candidate. Should people judge the capabilities of a person based on the color of their skin. Martin Luther King was a black man and made great changes in America. Senator Obama is a great man who I think would be a great President.
Americans ... still believe in an America where anything's possible -- they just don't think their leaders do. – Barack Obama

Senator Clinton, a strong woman born and raised in Chicago, Illinois. She’s also a good candidate for president but why are we, the people putting her down because of her gender. Oprah is a women a she has made amazing changes for the world like building schools, donating money to important organizations, and showing important issues on her show. But still America doesn’t see women equal to men. What can men do that women can’t? Women shouldn’t be cooking and cleaning they should be doctors, lawyers, and presidents. If people would just put the gender issue aside they would be able to realize we have a powerful, smart, and female Democratic candidate.

You show people what you're willing to fight for when you fight your friends. – Hilary Clinton

In the Republican race, people say Senator McCain, at age 71, is too old. Albert Einstein was 76 when he died but in his 70’s he was discovering things in the fields of math and science that no one ever dreamed of. Being too old with a great deal of experience, what do you want America, your judging in ways that are just not right for this country.

Some may say that being a little stereotypic and bias is a part of life and every one does it. That being a little prejudice is how people make good choices. If people weren’t a little prejudice we probable wouldn’t even need a President. But I feel we push gender, race and age too far. We should be good citizens and put that aside and choose based on the facts of what a person stands for.

Throughout history we have always had a white, male as President. I say the new President of the United State should stand for change. Voting is a privilege that we have as a citizen, we need to vote for the man or woman, whether they are black or white and that will do the most for America.