Competition or Cooperation? | Teen Ink

Competition or Cooperation?

By TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other

Competitions and cooperation both have their advantages and disadvantages. In brief, with competitions, children can become more independent and learn how to survive heading towards their working environment in the future. As for cooperation, children can learn to communicate with others to get the best solution in order to solve the problem together, as more minds are better than one.

To start with, some people think that a sense of competition in children should be encouraged. In my opinion, I agree with this statement to a certain extent. Competition can give incentives for children to do work more efficiently. Hence, the labor productivity will increase in the future as the children will be the masters of the society many years later. Moreover, they will gain higher self-esteem and confidence when they grow up. However, if the children value ‘win’ too much, once they fail, they cannot face the truth and may give up easily. It may also mislead their way of thinking and values of life. Life is not always about winning or losing. Enjoying the process of the competition might be more meaningful. For instance, the competition for the disabled is to promote the spirit of not giving up and be positive simultaneously. It makes them more confident and happy towards their life. Even if they have a lot of obstacles in life, they are still able to be the ‘winner’ from their friends and family’s points of view. In this case, I am not saying that children should not care about competitions at all but it is necessary from them to consider whether it is worth it in some circumstances.

As important as competitions, cooperation cannot be neglected too. Even if you have mastered all of the skills and knowledge, it is possible that you might not have the best solution to tackle the problem. Sometimes, it is rational that a smart person can do things wrong. They may even hold extreme values. However, when an individual work with others, they can discuss the matter together and carry out the best solution. This is a more comprehensive and objective way of doing. When children grow up, they will have to learn to cooperate with their peers. The chance of doing the work by your self is indistinct. Many job sectors require the basic skill of working with each other. It is said that no men is an island and I totally agree with that statement. Human cannot survive without each other. They are interdependent and have to rely on each other. However, certain skills and knowledge is stilled required despite cooperation.

In conclusion, I think competitions and cooperation are both very important. Without any one of them, children cannot be successful in the future, like the secret ingredient in the recipe. Nevertheless, they have to strike a balance between competitions and cooperation as those two is the most important elements in all kinds of business sectors. If they can manage competitions and cooperation well, they can surely perform well and make a better future for themselves.