What is music? | Teen Ink

What is music?

By Angel Foster BRONZE, Burleson, Texas
Angel Foster BRONZE, Burleson, Texas

To me music isn't a genre. A label. Its not Punk or Emo, Rap or Pop, Grunge or Country, Classical, well you get the point. None of those. But if its not that than what is it? One person can't just say this is what music is and that’s that because its different for everyone (if they realize it or not.) To me music is undefinable. Your best friend, your worst enemy, happy, sad...You can configure it to fit your emotions. From experience, I know that I turn to my trusty iPod when I'm at a loss of what to do. When I'm feeling down in the dumps or seriously upset I grab it and my ear buds then I'm out the door. My hand knows exactly where to go, what to pick. It has never failed in making me feel at least a little better if not a lot. Music is a lot of things to different people.

In band, music to me is a flow of emotion, not just a bunch of notes on a page. Powerful and weak at the same time, if you close your eyes its like a movie. You can hear the triumphs, the fights, success, heart break, and sadness; good versus evil. Then you open your eyes and realize where you are; music takes you away. Think about watching a movie with no music, it would suck. There would be no classical jaws-danger theme or the happiness of the sunrise coming for the brand new day. This is one of the issues that I actually agree with Webster. He says that music is "an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color." (well I guess its not "undefinable" then.) Music means a lot to me, I couldn't live with out it. I mean, when I'm running and don't feel like I can go all that much longer, throw on a different tune and it makes you mentally stronger. You push through the pain. When I listen, it helps me realize I'm not the only one, there are others going through the same thing, and they're just fine now. They got through it in the end. Mental toughness.

Music is a binding force that brings hope, happiness, peace, belonging, inspiration, but most of all, it can take you away from the real world if only for a while. Sometimes that’s all we need right? A break from this mess we've created all around us. In my life Music is what I live for. I like what ever band I like and I don't really care if its popular or not. Its just not what's "in" style. A broad topic that means a lot of things to different people.

Music is music, and that’s all that matters.

Edubs SILVER said...
Edubs SILVER, West Jordan, Utah

"But there's a hope waiting for you in the dark, you should know you're beautiful just the way you are. And you don't have to change a thing the world could change its heart. No scars to your beautiful, we're stars and we're beautiful." - Alessia

Oh my goodness! Thank you for putting this into words. I was actaully listening to a pretty powerful and deep song and I was just like thank you for this amazing article. A lot of grown ups don't understand music and what it does for people. Ah, I just love this.

taylamary said...
taylamary, Whangarei, Other
YES! That is is exactly how I feel! I love this!    P.s. I wrote about it in an english essay :) Hahaha.