A voice | Teen Ink

A voice

By emototxxx SILVER, Leawood, Kansas
emototxxx SILVER, Leawood, Kansas

In the late 1900s, Rosa Parks famously disagreed to give up her seat on a public bus to a white male in Montgomery, Georgia. For this action, she was arrested and thrown into jail. A few months later, Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., along with the National Advancement of Achievement for Colored People (NAACP), performed a series of non-violent protests to win civil rights for African Americans. Martin Luther believed that using words pulls the voices of African Americans into society. His words lead African Americans into a long-living victory. A strong voice that represents the people is one of the most significant characteristics of a leader

In my own opinion, a leader is someone that not only directs people, but also communicates with the people. Throughout history, the most notable presidents were the ones who listened and responded to the people’s cries. For examples, Franklin D. Roosevelt was one of the most liked president in history because during The Depression he reformed the economy to adjust to the people’s hardships; he was a “people’s person”. Another example would be our current president, Barack Obama. The majority of his votes came from those of the lower classes whom Obama himself had talked to; he’s another people’s person. However, despite being friendly and open for ideas, leaders also know when a decision has to be made. An example would be Missouri own president of 1945, Harry S. Truman. His famous quote “The Buck Stops Here” shows that the president will take the lead and make the final decision in the end. A true leader would exert that they’re open-minded for advice and opinions, but also reserved and doesn’t get washed out by others.

A voice is a sound uttered through the mouth of living creatures esp. of humans in speaking, shouting, singing etc. However, what some people don’t know is that the voice I a weapon and is, in some cases, a deadly one. In Nazi Germany, Adolf Hitler ruled the Germans with a persuasive voice, not a strong military. And with the power of his voice, he staged one of the biggest genocides recorded in history. I don’t encourage anyone to follow in Hitler’s purpose, but I do encourage people to observe how strongly his voice impacted Germany and, eventually, the world A leader who possess a strong voice, is a notable voice. All great leaders in the past have been prominent for at least one of their speeches. Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have A Dream”, John F. Kennedy’s Inaugural Address, and Franklin D. Roosevelt’s First Inaugural Address with the infamous line: There’s nothing to fear, but fear itself. All notable leaders famed by their wonderful speaking skill. In addition to, the reasoning and oppositions behind the voices that are preach impact their causes stronger than any army

In conclusion, the best qualities a leader could exhibit would be one who can communicate and listen to the people and use a strong voice to get their cause across. For that’s a leader who the people will follow and respect in history.

People need to stop being fooled and blinded by tabloids and scandals surrounded in society. Scandals be damned. We need to remember what made leaders so great in the beginning.