Fast food | Teen Ink

Fast food

By julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

The goal is not about living forever, the goal is about creating something that can.

Let's face it. Fast food is convenient, cheap, and tasty. That's why billions of people have eaten there ( 99 billion, according to some McDonald's signs, and that's not including all the other food chains) and that's why those billions will continue to eat it. The truth is,fast food restaurants are destroying us. We eat it with no regard to the harm it does us; and our society. Where once there were quaint, locally owned, organic restaurants where you actually had to wait for your food, there are now huge corporate chain restaurants where you can drive up and get your meal in under a minute. It's addicting too, you're brain sends the message saying it wants more, and more, and more. To how many people has this happened? One day they're healthy and fit; a year later they're sick and overweight. Go on a walk and look around you. How many people do you see that are overweight or obese? Chances are 9 out of 10 of those people regularly eat fast food. If you eat fast food yourself, I don't blame you. I used to eat it myself. I stopped because I suddenly realized what would happen if I continued on.

The reality is, our bodies need nutrients from stuff like fruits and vegetables. We need lots of whole grain in our diet. The bun of a fast food burger isn't whole grain.It's made using only one part of the grain, and it's not the nutrient part. Then if we're still talking burgers here, we come to the meat part. The beef comes from cows slaughtered assembly line style and torn apart by dirty machines.Cleanliness is not a factor here. Most often poop contaminates the burgers.

We are all independent people here. We have the right to make our own decisions. I've decided not to give my money to fast food companies. I won't support them. No one has to do that, but I seriously believe that if more people start making good decisions, the world will be a better place.

I used to eat fast food. I don't anymore.I think if more people think before they eat, it will be a step in a good direction.

Studio_Riet GOLD, Tonasket, Washington

" Times you see, is a little arrangement that man has made for himself to try to measure the immeasurable mysteries of life." -Calypso to Ulysses (Bernard Evslin.)
"You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body" - CS Lewis

And to those of you who don't like tomatoes or carrots or other stuff like that, make sure you have a fresh locally grown (preferably organic) one befor you make up your mind for sure. The difference, is amasing.

Studio_Riet GOLD, Tonasket, Washington

Anyone here heard of the Slow Food movement? "Where you sit down in a resteraunt, order a meal and wait for it, like a human being". Quote, my mom describing it to me.

I live and work on an organic farm. we only farm a few acres but no joke. We produce enough food to make an entire meal for 8 people almost every day, and keep up with two farmers markets a week, and a few summer festivals as well.

areebaization BRONZE, Dammam, Other

“Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.” – William B. Sprague

Honestly, the only reason I hate fast foods is because they are unhygienic and fatty, atleast more fatty than the food cooked at home. But ofcourse the rest of the reasons you stated are very relevent.

Trilobite BRONZE, Lower Burrell, Pennsylvania

"Genius is 1% imagination and 99% perspiration."~Thomas Edison
"Anyone who has a child today should train him to be either a physicist or a ballet dancer. Then he'll escape."~W. H. Auden

For the most part, I agree, except you seem to state that just by eating fast food regularly you can become overweight/obese.  If I were you, I would have factored in the amount of exercise the person gets, what he or she gets (I know, they're all equally high in calories), and other variables I didn't mention.  I know many people who eat a lot of fast food but are in very physically fit condition, for example.  Other than that, I agree.

From a writing perspective, make sure to put a space after commas, and try to refrain from using slang ("poop").  Other than that, this was a well written piece. :)

julian GOLD said...
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

Thanks! I'll make sure to check for proper spacing better in the future! And yeah, fast food is gross and disgusting. I think I read somewhere that dog food is healthier for human consumption than a McDonald's burger...ewww 

WritingSpasms, Los Angeles, California

"Devils run when a good man goes to war."
- River Song from Doctor Who (Ep. A Good Man Goes to War)

Totally agree! Fast food grosses me out, to the point where I actually have gone years without it. If I can get on with life without it, then I'm good with that. I actually don't miss burgers as much as I used to when I first started going "pro-health".

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Nice article; it's very true.  I haven't eaten any fast food for over six years and I don't understand why people think it's delicious.  It's absolutely repulsive!

Anyway, excellent article.  The only criticism I have is watch your spacing.  Sometimes you don't space properly after a period or a comma.

Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

Nice article, and definitely very true. I completely agree with everything you said. Your examples were excellent in proving your point, and everything flowed very well. 5 stars :)

julian GOLD said...
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

Yeah exactly! I think we need more locally owned food places that offer healthy food. It would help the economy as well. Thanks so much for checking out my work!

wildchild62626 BRONZE, Gerrards Cross, Other

I am Perfectly Imperfect.
-- Anonymous

My Heart is like an open book. It depends on how you read me. Don't judge me by my cover. Look in and Discover. I will be your true friend forever.
-- Anonymous

That is all sooo true! And even coffee shops like starbucks have a lot of fatty and unhealthy drinks with too much coffee. America needs more salad stops too because Salad can really be tasty as well. 

Really nice article, you really have writing talent!

Shawna Baynton, Eugene, Oregon

Awesome article!!! I hope you win (wink wink) :) Your bbf, 

Shnay

P.S I guess I do have an account! lol

_NoAir_ BRONZE said...
_NoAir_ BRONZE, Toronto, Other

There are as many ways to live as there are people in this world. Each one deserves a closer look.

–Golly (Harriet The Spy)

That's a very nice point of view! You're right, fast food restaurants are pretty popular nowadays. Although, fastfood isn't necessarily always bad for you. Burger king serves fish in a burger and have mostly healthy meals. Well, not here in Canada, because that only happens in Asia, where I used to live. Although, nice point of view!