Yes We Can | Teen Ink

Yes We Can

August 14, 2009
By ramnapotter PLATINUM, Toronto, Other
ramnapotter PLATINUM, Toronto, Other
26 articles 1 photo 90 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...”


Before July of 1969, landing on the moon was only a dream for even the most well trained astronauts. Nonetheless, with amazing determination, on the 20th of that very month, Armstrong and Aldrin touched down on the moon.
Before the year of 1953, it was said by some that it would be physically impossible to reach the top of the highest peak on Earth, Mount Everest. Despite that, on the 29th of May in ‘53, Sir Edmund Hillary faced that challenge and conquered Everest.
Before the mid-1800s, slavery had captured the world in it’s midst, and it was believed by many that there would be no hope for those suffering under it’s grasp. However, thanks to the words of justice for the black race shouted by so many brave people, we took a huge step in our quest of erasing racism.
Keeping these incredible accomplishments in mind, why can we not attempt to overcome this global challenge that we must face now? Why can’t we conquer this climate crisis of global warming and pollution that is slowly breaking apart our beautiful planet, as humankind has already done with so many other challenges that seemed impossible to defeat?
Now, I am not an environmentalist. And I must admit, studying every scientific detail of the Earth is not my passion. But I am a citizen, not only of this wonderful country, but also of this planet. And frankly, I am concerned. I am concerned that when our own children have grown, the world will be entirely engulfed in global warming and garbage. I am concerned that as we sit here, almost oblivious to how much our world is changing, a larger impact is hitting people in places like Africa and China.
I fear that as the next generation gets older, they will blame us. Why? Because the matter will have gotten out of hand by then. The situation will be out of control if we don’t take action now. And now is the best time because as we speak, right at this moment, our Earth is crippling under our feet. Slowly, but getting faster. Now is also the best time because what we do today is what happens tomorrow. If all of us get together and help, do anything, we will be able to accomplish a lot.
Many organizations have been formed over the past decade in order to promote the idea of overcoming this climate crisis. But just promoting the idea is not enough. Carrying it out and completing the task is what gets the job done. Many environmentalists worldwide have also taken it as a responsibility and included it into their daily lives to be environmentally friendly. However, out of the few billion people that populate the world, a handful of environmentalists aren’t going to do it. Also, as these people attempt to reduce the amount of garbage and pollution, other people, about 10 times as more people, are increasing it.
What we need is a global process to solve this problem. We need to get together as the everpowerful human race and every single human being needs to take action. That may seem impossible, even for humans, but if you think about it, we’ve accomplished a lot. And all our accomplishments seemed unachievable.
We can’t blame the Earth for causing us problems. It was here first. This massive calamity that faces us now is entirely our doing. And just like we did it, we need to undo it.
We can do this, people. Yes we can.