Manifest Destiny | Teen Ink

Manifest Destiny

By realrigatoni SILVER, Encino, California
realrigatoni SILVER, Encino, California

Throughout the years following the arrival of colonists to the New World, many forms of ideation unified the people in common goals and pursuits, including Puritanism of the 17th century, moral reform movements during the Second Great awakening, and manifest destiny in the 19th century. Although these waves of ideational and religious fervor stemmed from different causes, their roots lie in the same basic themes and values: the betterment of society for the world at large, and a religious or internal belief in destiny. 

The Puritanism that defined the seventeenth century in the New World was a direct result of religious persecution occurring in Europe. Many protestants faced persecution by Catholic governments, and some had different religious standpoints within the protestant ideation and became separatists, seeking religious freedom in the New World. These puritans seeked to do good for the world, and spread their religion in the New World to “better” society from their perspective, by educating other people on the word of the Bible. The focus on the spread of religion is an example of belief in destiny, as if the Puritans are destined to ‘enlighten’ the people in the New World about the works of God. The basic value of self-improvement is also displayed by the Puritans, many of which believed that good works would get them to heaven. 

The moral reforms movements in the 1830s and 1840s arose with the Second Great Awakening with a heightened emphasis on reforming the here and now, for the betterment of society. Examples include the temperance movements, prison reform, abolitionism, women’s rights advocates, and making education more accessible to the people. These movements redefined the ideals of equality, which conveys the underlying value of collective improvement. Additionally, the reform movements also largely stemmed from the religious Second Great Awakening; the religious ideations of equality and improvement of society, along with the constitutional idea of equality, worked together to propel the variety of reform movements during this time period.

Similarly, the wave of nationalism and manifest destiny that emerged in the 19th century was also rooted in the ideation of “betterment” of the American people and society as a whole. The belief that the American people are destined to have the land from coast to coast and improve society at the hands of the white men is due to the emerging nationalistic spirit of this time period. Part of the ideas of manifest destiny also involved religious backgrounds, such as the need to ‘enlighten’ or educate the native peoples and non-white groups. 

The common underlying themes of destiny and improvement of society for the people pattern the history of North America following the arrival of the colonists. From the initial seek for religious haven to the religiously motivated reform movements and nationalistic sentiments in later centuries, the ultimate goal of the Americans is to better the society as they deem right.

This historical essay argues that seventeenth century puritanism, the moral reform movements of the 1830s and 1840s, and manifest destiny of the 19th century each reflect the same basic themes and values of destiny and improvement of society as a whole.