Social Introverts | Teen Ink

Social Introverts

October 8, 2023
By khanhtrangtrando BRONZE, Tuy Hoa, Other
khanhtrangtrando BRONZE, Tuy Hoa, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Whenever you hear the word "introvert", you may think of a person with qualities of a personality type known as introversion. The term "introversion" was popularized by Carl Jung and suggests an inwards orientation to one’s own mental life rather than the outward orientation of extroverts to social life. People who are introverted have a good sense of self-reflection, have few friendships than those who are extroverted, but are very close with these friends, they enjoy being alone, having their own space to think and express their imagination to work out a problem, moreover after a social meeting or being in a crowd, they often get tired and exhausted.

But being an introvert isn't an all-or-nothing stamp on your personality. Introverts usually have a few extroverted traits mixed in with their introverted ones, and vice versa, one of these may stand out when you search for other types for introversion, that is social introverts. This for some people may seem a brand-new notion. The social introvert, like others in the Introvert category, requires significant energy to function in social situations. They may feel drained after interactions, but these interactions are vital for their health and happiness. They find interpersonal interactions fulfilling and rewarding, and would feel empty without those who bring them the most joy. They can enjoy socializing with close friends, family members, neighbors, volunteers, community activists, teachers, or fascinating characters. Despite their introverted nature, social introverts appreciate the opportunity to be around other people, not all the time, but a decent amount of the time. 

A social introvert may feel intimidated in new environments and avoid conversation, but they can be enthusiastic and effusive when with loved ones. They prefer group outings and activities, as they draw everyone's attention and allow conversation to flow naturally. They enjoy social situations where talking is unnecessary, such as attending concerts, plays, sporting events, or lectures. They are open to conversation at any time and place, but prefer to control their level of involvement. They can only invest their energy in social activities for a while before needing to escape and recharge their mental and emotional batteries. They may not always be receptive to others' efforts to initiate conversations and may retreat when they want their privacy. Overall, social introverts enjoy group activities, small talk, and social situations that allow them to contribute to the energy of the group.

So, what's your viewpoint on this type of introversion?