Bad Air, and the Damage it Can Do | Teen Ink

Bad Air, and the Damage it Can Do

By JonBai GOLD, Beijing, Other
JonBai GOLD, Beijing, Other

"Our reality is narrow, confined, and fleeting. Whatever we think is important right now, in our mundane lives, will no longer be important against a grander sense of time and space..."

- Liu Cixin

Being a victim of the effects of poor air quality daily living in Beijing, the phrase "The New War on Bad Air" resonated deeply with me because it highlights the importance of clean air, which was overlooked until the COVID-19 outbreak.

As a teenager growing up in Beijing, I often didn't even notice the buildings across the street due to the thick smog. The Air Quality Index dictated how we lived, including closing schools and staying indoors. We wore masks not just to protect against viruses but also to protect against the air we breathed.

As a result of the pandemic, this issue has taken on a new perspective. There was a sudden worldwide discussion about ventilation, about how important clean air is for indoor spaces. This wasn't just a concern for the citizens of Beijing but the entire world. Instead of relying on the article correctly points out that we need the government "to take some responsibility."

Air pollution has been tackled head-on in Beijing with great success. The city has seen a noticeable quality improvement in air quality. The number of 'blue skies' days has increased, allowing people to live in a more comfortable environment.

An urgent "war on bad air" is called for in the article. The goal is not just to prevent diseases like COVID-19 from spreading but to create healthier environments for everyone. Beijing has seen the impact of such changes, and I believe it's worth fighting for.

Bad air days are something that is already part of our weekly schedule here in China, but it is also something that I pray will go away someday. I can't stand the stinging of my lungs and the smoky smell that lingers in every corner of the city. I've written this article to provide insight to a problem that many outside of developing countries are unaware of.