Covid's Damage to the Lungs | Teen Ink

Covid's Damage to the Lungs

August 24, 2023
By JonBai GOLD, Beijing, Other
JonBai GOLD, Beijing, Other
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Our reality is narrow, confined, and fleeting. Whatever we think is important right now, in our mundane lives, will no longer be important against a grander sense of time and space..."

- Liu Cixin


Imagine running a seemingly endless marathon. Each breath an uphill struggle, never able to quench the thirst for air. Add to that, the worry and suffering of further complications, and you get the symptoms of severe Covid.

Sorry for bringing this up again, but Covid. The continuous coughing, the headaches, and the never-ending stuffy nose. Admittedly, most people's symptoms are light, including mine, even after multiple rounds of the virus. But for some, like Mr. Kennedy, the symptoms are multiplied tenfold.

Due to the severity of earlier Covid cases, many like me finally started heeding the expert's opinions and steering clear of unsafe actions. With careful monitoring, patients are beginning to be medically assisted, whether with devices or added attention.

Even though many survived, the long-term effects lingered. It was traumatizing for me to watch my teacher’s lung collapse (not literally) after an intense bout of Covid. It affected his life dramatically. He had to quit sports and could barely participate in activities with family and friends. My teacher’s situation is perfectly described with a quote from Ms. Rodríguez, another victim, “I don’t feel the same as how I used to.”

This article is a powerful call to action. We must remain vigilant in our fight against Covid-19. What can we do? Prioritize prevention. Empathize with those battling the long-term effects of this disease. Continue research. And provide resources to support 'long-haulers' on their recovery journey.


The author's comments:

I have a friend who contracted COVID-19 at the very start of the pandemic, leading to a collapsed lung and basically disallowing him to perform any sort of sport. I wanted to share the stories of others in similar situations and bring light onto a fading topic.