Why Not to Say | Teen Ink

Why Not to Say

By JonBai GOLD, Beijing, Other
JonBai GOLD, Beijing, Other

"Our reality is narrow, confined, and fleeting. Whatever we think is important right now, in our mundane lives, will no longer be important against a grander sense of time and space..."

- Liu Cixin

"I’ve overestimated myself and committed to events that I was clearly under-prepared for. Have you ever signed up for a 10K race without any training? Well, that was me. At the time, I had been casually jogging a few times a week but hadn't trained specifically for a race of that distance. However, the excitement of the event and the belief that I could push myself to complete it motivated me to sign up.

As the race day approached, I realized the magnitude of my decision. I hadn't completed any training, and doubts started creeping in. On the day of the race, I struggled to keep up with the other runners, and it quickly became a grueling experience. Though I managed to finish the race, it was far from the satisfying experience I had envisioned.

The problem with signing up for events that require commitment and training is that it could set us up for disappointment and potential failure. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement and underestimate the efforts required to succeed. To not make the same mistake twice and to ensure a more positive and fulfilling experience, we should set realistic goals and gradually work towards them. Additionally, seeking advice from experienced individuals or joining a supportive community can provide valuable insights into making informed decisions about our commitments.

Did you run another 10K race after that? It would be good to echo the intro and talk about how you’ve applied these techniques to your own training and how your experience has changed.

I've always been the person to say yes to anything others demand of me, no matter how unrealistic, probably because saying no just makes me feel guilty and seems mean. However, as workloads increase, it really is starting to get impossible to fulfill all the promises I've made, and thus I've decided to write this article, hoping to inspire others to work up the courage to say "no".