The Effect Of Technology In Teens And Young Adults | Teen Ink

The Effect Of Technology In Teens And Young Adults

The last approximately ten years have witnessed social media platforms take over the way we live. Although, there is concern about how social media impacts the growth and well-being of kids in everyday life. This essay shows us the argument of how social media has a significant and negative impact on the growth of our kids/teens and their well-being.

Children's development and well-being are significantly impacted by social media exposure. Their general happiness, social abilities, self-esteem, and mental health may all be impacted.

Social media use among children is growing quickly, although it is important and it can help with a huge variety of things it still shouldn’t be growing this much. Children are particularly susceptible to their influence because of their inadequate grasp of online information, and social media platforms are designed to engage users.

Social media use can have an effect on kids in both positive and negative ways, so it's very important to be aware of this and take the appropriate safety measures to protect your children, so that way they could have access to social media without having problems with the exposure.

First of all, social media might be bad for kids' mental health. A Royal Society for Public Health study found that using social media excessively can cause emotions of worry and low self-esteem. Children may form irrational expectations and feel inadequate if they are continuously compared to adequately maintained internet personas.

For instance, a study indicated that teens who spent more time on social media platforms had higher levels of depression symptoms. The study was published in the Journal of Youth and Adolescence.

In addition, a Pew Research Center survey found that 72% of students felt pressure to promote themselves on social media in a way that was appealing and popular.

These results highlight the importance of keeping an eye on children's online activities by indicating that social media use can lead to children's negative emotions and psychological distress.

In conclusion, social media can negatively affect kids' mental health, possibly resulting in depressive, anxious, or low self-esteem feelings.

Second, social media can affect a kid's relationships and social abilities. The amount of time spent on social media can decrease in-person interactions, which are essential for the growth of social skills. Children may have trouble expressing themselves clearly, showing empathy, and developing deep connections offline.

According to a University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) study, teens who spend too much time on screens, especially on social media, have poorer social skills.

In addition, according to a study that was featured in the Journal of Research in Personality, kids who use social media more frequently report feeling more alone and having a harder time forming friends.

According to these findings, social media may prevent people from forming meaningful connections and from learning critical social skills, both of which are necessary for long-term well-being.

In conclusion, youngsters who use social media excessively may struggle to make friends and experience loneliness as a result of their poor social skills and relationships.

Last but not least, social media might affect kids' happiness and self-worth. Children may compare themselves negatively to others and feel unsatisfied with their own life as a result of regular exposure to carefully selected photos and material on social media.

According to a study that appeared in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, young people who were exposed to positive self-presentation on social media had lower self-esteem.

In addition, a study that was published in the journal Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking revealed that teenagers who used social media excessively reported increased levels of unhappiness and dissatisfaction.

These results emphasize the significance of fostering a positive self-image and sense of well-being by raising awareness of the potentially detrimental effects of social media on children's self-perception.

To sum up, social media can negatively affect kids' self-esteem and general happiness by encouraging unfair comparisons and sentiments of unhappiness.

Numerous studies have demonstrated how excessive usage of social media can harm children's mental health, social skills, self-esteem, and general well-being.

Children's development and well-being are significantly impacted by social media exposure.

We can give our kids access to a safer online environment and promote their development by being aware of and responding to the possible risks posed by social media.