When thinking “rich,” your person will not be “poor" | Teen Ink

When thinking “rich,” your person will not be “poor"

By Bichngale BRONZE, Tuy Hoa, Other
Bichngale BRONZE, Tuy Hoa, Other

We must have heard a lot about stories and examples of overcoming suffering right from the first days of school, and we always admire and respect individuals who always try to overcome adversity to succeed. However, that is not the case with today's society. I firmly believe that "Overcoming happiness is harder than overcoming suffering" is a story that does not belong to anyone, not even me.

Contrary to the popular concept of "overcoming happiness" is another way of describing young people who grew up in conditional families, surrounded by parents, arranged and connected closely with a life full of technology and information. Suffering people know that nothing is left behind, and they only have one way to move forward. They have overcome suffering for generations, so they have experience. Meanwhile, for those overcoming happiness, in front of them are many options that do not know where to go, have very little reference experience.

I am enjoying a life that is stable and full of everything consisting of having a home to go back to, wifi to use and three meals a day, etc. Though my parents are not tech-savvy and have some old-fashioned ideas, they always respect my reasonable decisions and convincing opinions. Learning is a prime instance. I am sure it is not just me; currently, adolescents also suffer from two scary diseases: "lazy" and "procrastination". Nevertheless, my parents still have no strings attached to my studies because they have made me aware that: "Study for me, not for parents, my future is up to myself. Even if I am a beggar, that will be my life." Those are my father's sayings which I appreciate and remember most deeply. I am extremely grateful to him for giving me the right insights and profound lessons. From there, I was able to surpass myself. I am not lacking materially nor spiritually, but I need to get over myself. You do not have to be better than anyone because no one is an accurate measure of perfection. You also don't have to be perfect because a little flaw will create your own unique character. As long as you are better today than you were yesterday. The little things I learned every day turned into the great me within myself. If you stay in your safe zone forever, you will never have the opportunity to develop your inherent abilities. That means you are always stuck, never moving forward, and never growing. 

I confidently stepped out of my comfort zone, so you should try because "twenty years from now, you will regret the things you did not do more than the ones you did". When thinking “rich,” your person will not be “poor.”