poet x essay | Teen Ink

poet x essay

By enochddon BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
enochddon BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

What authors craft move has the most effect? In the book Poet X, by Elizabeth Acevedo, mami is the mother of our main character Xiomara. To both Xio and readers, Mami seems like a very strict person, but the author uses different craft moves to show us the reason why she is so stern, and Xiomara who has just started expressing all her feelings in her poetry book the author uses metaphor to show the relationship she has with the book. Furthermore, Acevedo uses allusions to reveal Mama’s motivations for oppressing Xiomara, and metaphors to show the connection Xiomara has with her book of poems.

The author uses an allusion to the bible to show us the reason for Mama's illiberalism: her love for God. While trying to burn Xiomara's poetry book mami says “If your eye causes you to sin, If your hand causes you to sin”. As a result of her using this quote and not talking about how because xio is doing bad things because of her book, we can clearly understand the reference to a quote in the bible that says you should try whatever you do which helps you not to sin even if it means sacrificing your limbs. This shows that Mami believes the poetry book is causing xio to sin which shows the reason Mama decides to burn the book is in order to stop xio from doing what she believes is “sinning”. In another time period while talking to Xio about her marriage Mama says “But even business deals are promises. And we still married in a church. And so I never walked away from him although I tried my best to get back to my first love”. Mama accepting the marriage because it was from a church and it was a promise alludes that she believes that breaking marriages is a sin as said in the bible doing something in a church is special. This shows Mama is using the bible as her reason for doing this and it's why she does the stuff she does instead of just plain saying that she thinks the notebook is a bad influence on her she uses a quote from the bible that says whatever causes someone to sin should be cut off.

The author uses metaphors to communicate to readers the close relationship between Xiomara and her poetry. While talking about her poems and how they affect Xiomara she says ” It has brought me the light. And isn't that what a poem is? A lantern glowing in the dark.'.Xero saying those words about her poetry instead of her saying that a poem just brings her joy enunciates the fact that to her xio views her poems as an inspiration for her and the most important thing for her and something which has brought her hope and other things thereof. While Mama is burning Xiomara's notebook she is shocked and feeling a lot of emotions and she thinks to herself “My notebook is smoldering, my heart feels like it’s been burned crisp.” The fact she says her heart is burning shows Xio feels a great connection to her book and because it's been burnt she feels extremely sad.

The author uses metaphor to show the strong connection Xio has with her book and the author uses allusion to show Mama's motivation for the way she acts towards xio and Papi. From this, I have learned that authors' crafts moves can allow us to get a deeper meaning of what is really happening and allow us to analyze the cause of it. 

just an end of unit essay