No Homework or Get Paid For Homework | Teen Ink

No Homework or Get Paid For Homework

June 7, 2022
By Anonymous


A great philosophical question comes up when the question is asked: would you rather be paid $10 dollars an hour for completing your homework or have no homework at all? I, as a responsible student and person, believe that the former option is much superior. Homework isn’t just busy work, it increases your knowledge, know-how & keenness. Without it, we would flounder in school like a fish out of water. Homework is the lifeblood of school, it pushes students along and separates the hardworking from the lazy. Teachers use homework to their advantage and schools would either have to increase in length or cut curriculum without homework. Homework is vital. Homework is healthy. Homework is necessary. 


Now there is a new benefit to doing your homework: a ten-dollar per hour salary. Many hardworking students, like myself, would do the homework even if it was optional since learning is the end goal. The ten dollar per hour salary would just be a bonus. It would also be an incentive to stay in school for those who are struggling and thinking of dropping out. Those who are dedicated to their studies often don’t have time for a job. This extra money could help pay for important necessities like food, gas and entertainment. If this were to occur nationwide as an option, the money would have unseen impacts yes, but we need to put money in the hands of those who are studying to become contributing members of society. 


For these reasons and more, I personally would choose the ten dollars. Over the course of the school year, the hours would add up. This could go as far as helping to partially pay for college… a big purchase in my recent future. I would also enjoy not being a financial burden on my parents, even though they have a healthy living. It would teach me and others strong financial skills. I could set up a bank account for the money to transfer and create a debit card. A debit card with money from my studies beckons to me saying “I am a great idea”. It isn’t that I enjoy doing homework, but I have the self discipline to stay at my desk until my head hits my textbooks with a Bang!. 


If it were possible without economic consequences, I actually think paying students a small amount of money per hour could have numerous benefits as expressed earlier… it would definitely keep students in school. As Nelson Mandela once said “education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world”. A little monetary incentive would give numerous students that gift and weapon which would benefit society.


The author's comments:

I am an 11th grader at Arrowhead Union High School. I enjoy reading, track and hanging out with friends.