Focus On What Matters | Teen Ink

Focus On What Matters

By MissKnZy PLATINUM, Gibsonburg, Ohio
MissKnZy PLATINUM, Gibsonburg, Ohio
21 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Fear is a choice, danger is real, but fear is a choice.

As a young girl about four, my parents never had much money. We weren’t in debt nor were we homeless or such things you hear about, but not very well off. There were two things my father hated doing; taking out loans, and being in debt. While I don’t remember any of this or our state when I was younger I hear stories about it. My mom will tell me how when she was pregnant with me she couldn’t have her cravings. She had to stick to what we had. There was no room for the stuff we wanted. 

I look back on my family’s past and think how did we make it? Budgeting? My family isn’t rich now yet we have a large house with everything we need and more. But then, I know how we made it. Family’s would give me and my four siblings clothes. I remember a woman with a black lab who, every Sunday, would walk down our road and deliver something, or keep me and my siblings busy, or just be there for my parents. I don’t know the name of this woman. Nor have I ever.  

She isn’t the only one who helped out. My grandparents helped so much as well. This I can account for. I think the reason I don’t remember having very little was because of My Grandpa. My Grandpa had a similar upbringing to mine where he had less than average. This aided him in giving me the best unusual childhood. All my siblings, myself included, have straight A’s now. We are all involved in social activities and have plans on our future. My youngest sister is 10 years old.

Many kids today grow up on electronics, phones, computers, television ect. I remember using my first TV around eight. I can say as a thirteen year old girl that not having a phone is a bit disappointing but I know it’s for the better. Let me get to my point. Today people care more about a screen, status, money and looks more than the stuff that is important. If we don’t start caring for the stuff that matters and the people who care about us, we’re set for a disastrous world, and not many people to turn to.

Though my parents encourage self sufficiency frequently I know they support me and always have my back. This helps me be confident and move ahead into the future better than most. Let me give you advice. Do and care for the stuff that matters. If you don’t you’ll lose sight of yourself and everything around you.

I'm thirteen years old. I love writing and reading because it enters us to a world of possibility. Church and sports are vital things in my line of vision. I can't wait to grow up and reach my goals as well as help others touch their own.