Should DNA cloning be normalized in our day to day modern society? | Teen Ink

Should DNA cloning be normalized in our day to day modern society?

By Edouardgr_ BRONZE, Nairobi, Other
Edouardgr_ BRONZE, Nairobi, Other

The technique of creating a genetically identical replica of a cell or an organism is known as cloning. Cloning occurs frequently in nature, such as when a cell copies itself asexually without undergoing any genetic alterations or recombination. DNA cloning with animals/humans has its pros and cons.

Cloning allows farmers and ranchers (also any companies that sell meat) to accelerate the reproduction of their most productive livestock in order to better produce safe and healthy food. Consumers can benefit from cloning because meat and milk will be more healthful, consistent, and safe.

Having multiple clones of yourself would make you lose your individuality. Resulting in change of behaviors: you wouldn't know how to act, knowing there's somebody exactly like you out there is creepy and unsettling. Human cloning is still largely criticized, because to the psychological, social, and physiological concerns involved.

Pros of DNA cloning:

Cloning does not have to entail the creation of a completely new human.

It eliminates infertility as a hurdle.

It has the potential to enhance human life spans...

Same-gender couples may be able to have biological children.

It has the potential to bring families back into equilibrium.

The societal consequences would be unpredictable.

Cons of DNA cloning:

The procedure isn't completely safe or precise. Despite the fact that they are genetically similar, clones will not have the same behavioral characteristics.

It is considered unethical, and the likelihood of misuse is very high.

The offspring are not genetically distinct.

It is still in the early stages of development.

Plan of action 

Research 

The technique of creating a genetically identical replica of a cell or an organism is known as cloning. Cloning occurs frequently in nature, such as when a cell copies itself asexually without undergoing any genetic alterations or recombination. Researchers have discovered some negative health impacts in cloned sheep and other mammals. A rise in birth weight and a range of problems in important organs such as the liver, brain, and heart are among them. Other side effects include premature aging and immune system issues. Having multiple clones of yourself would make you lose your individuality. Resulting in change of behaviors: you wouldn't know how to act, knowing there's somebody exactly like you out there is creepy and unsettling. Human cloning is still largely criticized, because to the psychological, social, and physiological concerns involved. There are also concerns that cloning encourages eugenics, the concept that mankind may be better by selecting individuals with desired characteristics.

Dolly was a participant in a series of research at The Roslin Institute aimed at improving the production of genetically modified animals. If effective, this would mean that future trials would require fewer animals. Roslin researchers were also interested in learning more about how cells change during development and whether a specialized cell, such as a skin or brain cell, could be utilized to create an entirely new animal.

Work Cited: 

“Cloning.” Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., britannica.com/science/cloning. 

“About Genomics.” Genome.gov, genome.gov/about-genomics. 

“DNA Cloning and Recombinant DNA.” Khan Academy, Khan Academy, khanacademy.org/science/ap-biology/gene-expression-and-regulation/biotechnology/v/dna-cloning-and-recombinant-dna. 

“The Life of Dolly.” Dolly the Sheep, dolly.roslin.ed.ac.uk/facts/the-life-of-dolly/index.html. 

“Molecular Cloning.” Molecular Cloning - an Overview | ScienceDirect Topics, sciencedirect.com/topics/biochemistry-genetics-and-molecular-biology/molecular-cloning.