Mem-or-ries | Teen Ink

Mem-or-ries

November 3, 2021
By Anonymous

Memories. They are an interesting, unexpected, and difficult feeling. Something could be on the side of the road, and your mind correlates it with a memory. You can look back at pictures that are filled with memories, and you get this feeling, a rush of sorrow. The definition is,  something remembered from the past; a recollection. You do not necessarily want to relive all those memories, but you look back and wish they weren't taken for granted. Per se, you don't want to relive the death of your dog, but when you look back on the days before their death, the memories the pictures hold, you wish you could stay there forever. Therefore, I do not necessarily want to turn back time, or restart my life.  I only wish to relive moments, and experiences that were significant. That is the tricky part about memories, that sometimes they can be significant and others are things you don’t want to remember. Either way, they all happened and made you who you are. All these memories that we look back on are learning lessons. The memory of you drawing on the walls when you were five, taught you to not do it again because the memory also included you getting in trouble for it. Looking back through old videos, pictures, even seeing an object, allows you to feel it again, but not in the same way. Seeing a bracelet on your dresser takes you back to when your grandpa got it for you. You also feel the joy you felt when you got it, all over again. Therefore, you feel something that is indescribable. Nostalgia? Regret? Deja vu? You can't decide if it is a sad or happy feeling. A sense of relief knowing that it is over, or panic that it is gone. It's unsettling that it is only one part of the brain that holds these memories, but to me it is a whole lifetime of mistakes, success, grief, bliss, anger, and joy. Memories.