It Hurts | Teen Ink

It Hurts

When they text a question but there’s no reply, it hurts. When they suddenly come across a problem that they just can’t quite figure out, it hurts. When they always rely on their friends to help solve the problem, it hurts. It hurts when they express all the colors and emotions into their text but instead of help, they receive a completely different answer. And most of all it hurts when their friends ghost them on text when they have something important to tell them. When they are in desperate need of help and chatting to their friends about a whole windstorm of problems, minutes have passed but their friend still hasn’t responded. When their friend finally responds, it felt as if pulling out the sword from a rock, or finding a golden ticket. Or putting on a smile like the Cheshire Cat. But all of that ends when their friend answers with a short simple answer. “Ok.” It Hurts. 

In this set piece I thought that this is a little relatable to everyone. I wrote about something not many people actually talk about but is happening. I experimented with allusion and third-person literary devices. An allusion is where the author expects the reader to know what he/she is trying to tell them. For instance, you may hear “pulling the sword from the rock” from the Disney movie The Sword in the Stone.